new toy...

DanM

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2002
Look what I just got!
DSCF0012.JPG

DSCF0013.JPG

Rock on. I have the whole shortblock, it's all disassembled and ready to go in for machine work. I'll be keeping a mostly stock bottom end, good cam and some good heads+intake and I should pull 400hp/400lbft pretty easily.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure yet. :) It'll be at least a year before I'm finished with it (money). At that point I'll decide whether to stuff it in the 6 or buy an old Fox to plug it in. :shrug: Sure would be neat to fit it in the 6 though, neat sleeper!

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Here you go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=2484069769&rd=1
Build yourself a '95 Cobra R, with A/C and the color you want. :shrug: :D[/QUOTE]

I used to live 15 minutes from where that car is located. Oh, and unless he carbs that beast, trying to go EFI will be a wiring nightmare, unless of course he runs a standalone system, but then you are talking $$$ and battling the learning curve. Its the same situation I've been in with thie 308; build it and make it work in my '00, or sell it for a built 4.2???

If it ends up going in the 2000, it'll be carbed, and I'll basically gut the V6.

It wouldn't be so bad to buy a late 80s 5.0 and try to stuff it into that and go EFI. We'll see.

DanM said:
If it ends up going in the 2000, it'll be carbed, and I'll basically gut the V6.

It wouldn't be so bad to buy a late 80s 5.0 and try to stuff it into that and go EFI. We'll see.

A carbd 351 in the 00 would rock. :flag: But, if you wanted to put it into any fox or SN-95 5.0, that swap is real common and you could still easily retain EFI. Check out the guy on the 94-95 forums who just got his 418 stroker running. He topped it off with an AFR 225/FTI custom cam/Trickflow Box upper combo. That thing just looks mean.I believe his name is yellow5.0cobra.

atlblue2000 said:
A carbd 351 in the 00 would rock. :flag:
That's what I thought. I know it ain't easy, and it'd be a BIG tear up. But if I'm going to all this effort anyway, I'd rather end up with something unique, and there are lots of guys with 351s in foxes. We'll see I guess.

atlblue2000 said:
A carbd 351 in the 00 would rock. :flag: But, if you wanted to put it into any fox or SN-95 5.0, that swap is real common and you could still easily retain EFI.

So why would EFI be hard in a '96+. Granted you'd have to track down the equipment from a '94-'95 car, but I don't see how that would be a big deal. Hell, guys in the classic forum are putting 5.0 EFI systems on their 289's.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]So why would EFI be hard in a '96+. Granted you'd have to track down the equipment from a '94-'95 car, but I don't see how that would be a big deal. Hell, guys in the classic forum are putting 5.0 EFI systems on their 289's.[/QUOTE]

its not EFI, per se, that would be tough; its the fact that you are going with a 5.0. Carbing it would allow you to get around not only replacing the tank and adding a return line, but you would not have near the mess from an electrical standpoint. The fact that he has a 00 would require a full on stripping of literally EVERY piece of wiring from headlight to taillamp and that includes removing the entire dash assembly and yanking all the wiring out of there. Sound like fun to you??? And I bet those classic fellas with EFI are not running solely on stock ECUs either...they have some type of standalone, secondary fuel/timing management system that helps to simplify (well, as much as possible) the swap.

http://v6power.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31012&highlight=
http://v6power.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30634&highlight=

This is into a 97. So, still think its cake?? :p

DanM said:
That's what I thought. I know it ain't easy, and it'd be a BIG tear up. But if I'm going to all this effort anyway, I'd rather end up with something unique, and there are lots of guys with 351s in foxes. We'll see I guess.

I tell ya what Dan... we'll both do carbd V8 swaps together. In fact, I'll let you lead and then follow suit based on what you discover. :D It would be neat if we popped up after a short hiatus with carbd V8s in our '00s wouldn't it?? Of course, you definitely have a handful of cubes on me... :(

I suppose that leaves me with no other choice but to nitrous the piss out of her, huh? :nice:

atlblue2000 said:
I tell ya what Dan... we'll both do carbd V8 swaps together. In fact, I'll let you lead and then follow suit based on what you discover. :D It would be neat if we popped up after a short hiatus with carbd V8s in our '00s wouldn't it?? Of course, you definitely have a handful of cubes on me... :(

I suppose that leaves me with no other choice but to nitrous the piss out of her, huh? :nice:
Heh, that would definitely be neat. It's still at least a year off for me, at least. I'm pretty sure to build this engine the way I want is going to cost at least 2k, maybe 3-4k, so I pretty much have to spread it out over a year or two.

And the cubes aren't all that matters. :) My objective with this project is a moderate power/economy build type thing. I won't be using fancy ****. No gross overbore or stroking, stock crank and rods, no fancy pistons, good but not 1400-dollar heads, etc, etc.. I expect to make about 350-400hp and similar torque. I'd REALLY love to see a round 400lbft around 2000-3000 rpm or so, that would make me smile. :)

BTW, I'm gonna document the whole build. Mostly for my own interest. Here's where it'll go:

http://members.rogers.com/dmepham/

Not much there so far, but stay tooned. ;) I'm going to post up little helpful bits of information I've learned along the way that may be helpful to other ppl. (like the little section on 351W cams)

DanM said:
BTW, I'm gonna document the whole build. Mostly for my own interest. Here's where it'll go:

http://members.rogers.com/dmepham/

Not much there so far, but stay tooned. ;) I'm going to post up little helpful bits of information I've learned along the way that may be helpful to other ppl. (like the little section on 351W cams)

The only thing really keeping me from going that route (aside from this car being the daily driver) is my lack of knowledge when it comes to carbs. I'm just used to EFI stuff, really. The carb is more my dads specialty, but now even he has been out fo the carb game for awhile. I just hate having to unload this frappin 308 b/c I know with the forged I-beams and forged probe flat tops, I could run some decent comp with a small chambered head and throw a good amount of nitrous at it and have a helluva car @ the track on the bottle and when just cruising on the street, I would still have plenty of grunt naturally. Decisions, decisions... :nonono: