Newb 347 stroker? need some help!!

stang65'

Dec 7, 2003
Hey all,

First of I have a '65 Coupe 289 C4. I'm in the middle of a complete reso and have a couple dilemmas. I will start with just one.

My car has sat for the last 10yrs and the engine needs a rebuild. I want a little more hp/tq so I figured I would make it a 331 stroker. That is where my questions begin. I have seen alot of people on here stroke 302s but not many 289 I know that it can be done but is there a reason not to? Also, (and excuse my ignorance here) is there a reason to perform this mod to a roller block vs. a non roller, and why?

Thanks for any help you all can provide

• Sponsors (?)

You'd be better off using a 302/5.0 block to stroke it, simply because the cylinders are a little longer in them vs the 289 block. Now if you're talking about the 331 in a 289 block vs a 347 in a 302 block, the difference in stroke vs length of the cylinder is pretty close to being the same, but still you'd be better off using a 302/5.0 block.

D.Hearne said:
You'd be better off using a 302/5.0 block to stroke it, simply because the cylinders are a little longer in them vs the 289 block. Now if you're talking about the 331 in a 289 block vs a 347 in a 302 block, the difference in stroke vs length of the cylinder is pretty close to being the same, but still you'd be better off using a 302/5.0 block.

Thanks, thats the info I was looking for.