Newb 347 stroker? need some help!!

stang65'

Dec 7, 2003
Hey all,

First off I have a '65 Coupe 289 C4. I'm in the middle of a complete reso and have a couple dilemmas. I will start with just one.

My car has sat for the last 10yrs and the engine needs a rebuild. I want a little more hp/tq so I figured I would make it a 331 stroker. That is where my questions begin. I have seen alot of people on here stroke 302s but not many 289 I know that it can be done but is there a reason not to? Also, (and excuse my ignorance here) is there a reason to perform this mod to a roller block vs. a non roller, and why?

Thanks for any help you all can provide

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for taking the time. I know these topics have been discussed before, I did a search but couldn't find the answers to my exact questions.

I guess my question is basicly can I buy an of the shelf stroker kit from CHP or DSS and put it in my 289 (ideal situation) or should thowing down some extra $$$ and buy a 302 or 5.0 block, and what would be the benifits of that?

thanks again

Not one of these again. :bang: Ok newbie, I will help you.J/K. The roller blocks are already setup for the roller lifters for a roller cam. Roller cams offer many benefits over the type of cam in your 289. The blocks are easier to come by now a days and the rear main is one piece also which is nice. Since there are provisions for the roller stuff to begin with, there is no machine work involved to put them in, or expensive lifters to buy.