Newbe here! Engine question

Hi my name is Nathan and I am totally new to Mustangs! I just bought a 73 Fastback for resto.

I am having trouble deciding on which engine I shoud buy to put in it.

Here are my choices:
71 Thunderbird with 429 and C6 tranny. I get the entire car for $1100

77 E350 Van with 460 and C6 tranny. I get the entire van for $800

Both vehicles are in good running condition but the bodies are pretty shot.

Which engine will give me more bang for the buck? I have heard that the 429 has 360 hp from the factory but I know nothing about the 460.

Any advice will be helpful!

Thanks
Nathan

• Sponsors (?)

What Do you want from the car? Are you looking for a tire smoking monster, or a 9 second track car? Both are a "385" series engine similar in design to a CLeveland motor. Both are torque monsters. I would say it has a lot to do with your goals for the car.

I am not much of a track guy so mostly cruising on the street and maybe a few shows. But I want it to smoke the tires. I think I have pretty much decided on the 429 because I think it will be an easier install. Plus 360 hp from the factory is pretty strong. It also has a freshly rebuilt carb on it already.

Anybody know where I can get the best deal on a new gas tank and other small parts?

If you are just trying to decide between the 2 listed, I vote for the 429.

Mainly because it has decent heads.
The 460 is cool because of the added cubes, but the heads are lacking on those later engines.

If you could get the 460 block and the 71 heads, you would have a nice combo.

That said...
If it were my car, I would go for a 351c. But that's just me.

I am not much of a track guy so mostly cruising on the street and maybe a few shows. But I want it to smoke the tires.
A 71 429 will do these things just fine.

I think I have pretty much decided on the 429 because I think it will be an easier install.
429 and 460 are the same engine externally.
You could not tell the difference by looking at it.
Neither will be harder or easier than the other.

Although, the T-bird might have engine mounts that can be adapted to your car. Don't know for sure, but at least there is a chance. The van will have nothing that can transfer to your car when it comes to mounts, accessories, etc...
You may even be able to use the radiator and such out of the T-bird... :shrug: