• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Newbe here! Engine question

  • Thread starter Thread starter trailjeepman
  • Start date Start date Mar 7, 2008
T

trailjeepman

New Member
Mar 6, 2008
2
0
0
Burlington, NC
Mar 7, 2008
#1
  • Mar 7, 2008
  • #1
Hi my name is Nathan and I am totally new to Mustangs! I just bought a 73 Fastback for resto.

I am having trouble deciding on which engine I shoud buy to put in it.

Here are my choices:
71 Thunderbird with 429 and C6 tranny. I get the entire car for $1100

77 E350 Van with 460 and C6 tranny. I get the entire van for $800

Both vehicles are in good running condition but the bodies are pretty shot.

Which engine will give me more bang for the buck? I have heard that the 429 has 360 hp from the factory but I know nothing about the 460.

Any advice will be helpful!

Thanks
Nathan
 

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
1,352
15
69
Hicksville, NY
Mar 7, 2008
#2
  • Mar 7, 2008
  • #2
What Do you want from the car? Are you looking for a tire smoking monster, or a 9 second track car? Both are a "385" series engine similar in design to a CLeveland motor. Both are torque monsters. I would say it has a lot to do with your goals for the car.
 
T

trailjeepman

New Member
Mar 6, 2008
2
0
0
Burlington, NC
Mar 7, 2008
#3
  • Mar 7, 2008
  • #3
I am not much of a track guy so mostly cruising on the street and maybe a few shows. But I want it to smoke the tires. I think I have pretty much decided on the 429 because I think it will be an easier install. Plus 360 hp from the factory is pretty strong. It also has a freshly rebuilt carb on it already.

Anybody know where I can get the best deal on a new gas tank and other small parts?
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Mar 7, 2008
#4
  • Mar 7, 2008
  • #4
If you are just trying to decide between the 2 listed, I vote for the 429.

Mainly because it has decent heads.
The 460 is cool because of the added cubes, but the heads are lacking on those later engines.

If you could get the 460 block and the 71 heads, you would have a nice combo.

That said...
If it were my car, I would go for a 351c. But that's just me.
 

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
3,870
73
109
Pensacola FL
Mar 7, 2008
#5
  • Mar 7, 2008
  • #5
I am not much of a track guy so mostly cruising on the street and maybe a few shows. But I want it to smoke the tires.
Click to expand...
A 71 429 will do these things just fine.

I think I have pretty much decided on the 429 because I think it will be an easier install.
Click to expand...
429 and 460 are the same engine externally.
You could not tell the difference by looking at it.
Neither will be harder or easier than the other.

Although, the T-bird might have engine mounts that can be adapted to your car. Don't know for sure, but at least there is a chance. The van will have nothing that can transfer to your car when it comes to mounts, accessories, etc...
You may even be able to use the radiator and such out of the T-bird...
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Mar 8, 2008
#6
  • Mar 8, 2008
  • #6
Do the 429. The oilpan will fit where the van's 460 pan won't.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Wanting to replace my BOSS 351C Engine Harmonic Balancer - Questions about 'Balance?'
  • 69machmike
  • Oct 31, 2024
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
757
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Nov 5, 2024
Realmongo
Fuel Fuel Pump Rewire, New Fuel Lines, and Installation of New Fuel Pump Hanger with AN6 Connections
  • AeroCoupe
  • Mar 12, 2023
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
33
Views
13K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 16, 2023
AeroCoupe
Engine Cam idle and timing questions - big cam, little knowledge
  • Justin87
  • Jul 6, 2021
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
11K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2021
Middleagecrisis
M
G
HYBRID JEEP
  • Grey Wolf
  • Apr 12, 2018
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
1K
The Welcome Wagon May 28, 2018
Grey Wolf
G
P
1968 Fastback 351w Engine Rebuild Questions
  • philly4lyfe
  • Jul 27, 2014
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
9
Views
2K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Aug 4, 2014
horse sence
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?