Newly Supercharged! Need advice/help

LXstangLX

Sep 19, 2011
So recently I added a V1 Vortech S trim to the mix and am looking for some advice..
1. What plugs and gap should I be using?
2. I am running mid grade fuel now, do I have to make the jump to 93 now?
3. Anyone know the ring and plate sizes on a Vortech FMU? I bought mine second hand and just need to know if mine is right for my 24lb injectors.
4. not sure of the make but I have an adjustable fuel regulator and it has what looks to be a vacuum port on the top.. when hooked up it makes no difference in how the car runs.. does this need to have a vacuum connected or is that used just for setting it?
Thanks for the help/advice in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

1. Not sure what heads but with a supercharger go two ranges colder to be safe, Autolite 3923's gapped at .030.
2. If your timing is set to stock like 10 degrees you can run a lower octane. Pinging (detonation) with a blower is a huge no no. If you can run a higher octane do it.
3. Vortech supplies 2 diaphrams with their FMU unit. Since purchased second hand it's a toss up which one you have. It has nothing to do with your injectors.
4. The vacuum needs to be connected to the fuel regulator. With the vacuum connected the ECC sets fuel pressure at 32psi. Disconnected (line off) it's 38psi and you have a vacuum leak. Keep it connected.

Really important, now that you have a supercharger just don't go romp on it. Take it to a dyno and get it dyno tuned. If you're not running enough fuel mods (not enough injector, fuel pump, etc.) you'll do some motor damage. This also goes for ignition. I'd run a MSD coil, better plug wires and probably a MSD 6AL ignition box to be safe. All this can only help.

A little clarification on the FMU diaphram. There are a number of different ratios but the two most common are the 10:1 and the 8:1. You need the 8:1 ratio FMU diaphram for 24 lb injectors, running the supercharger at the recommended boost level.

So recently I added a V1 Vortech S trim to the mix and am looking for some advice..
1. What plugs and gap should I be using?
2. I am running mid grade fuel now, do I have to make the jump to 93 now?
3. Anyone know the ring and plate sizes on a Vortech FMU? I bought mine second hand and just need to know if mine is right for my 24lb injectors.
4. not sure of the make but I have an adjustable fuel regulator and it has what looks to be a vacuum port on the top.. when hooked up it makes no difference in how the car runs.. does this need to have a vacuum connected or is that used just for setting it?
Thanks for the help/advice in advance!
1. One heat range lower will do just fine.
2. Depends on your level of boost.
3. Vortech will know for sure, ask them. 8:1 or 10:1 for 24 lb injectors.
4. All FPR's have a vacuum port, even the stock Ford unit. Don't really understand your question.

My question about the FPR is this... is that vacuum port to be connected contantly or only when you set the FPR? I have been running without it connected for some time now with no problems and only since supercharging it and had a friend look at it was it an issue with it not being connected. Presently its connected but I dont notice a difference performance
Thanks for the reply

Thanks guys, and Noobz for being absolutely clear on the FMU question! I love those answers!
@ Vibrant... I will step up the ignition with a coil as I already have a new cap and 8 or 9mm wires but am sure the coil wouldnt hurt... Im running 24s at your advised gap and will begin on 93octane at my next fill up.. as for the FMU, any idea on the size of the center plate inside it? mine is 2.5" with an aluminum ring to fit the rest of the space..

Blown88.. Vortech for the most part has been non existent in the help dept unless im reading off my credit card number for something that I need...

foxna6... thats the plan... my wallet just has to let it happen and right now im piecing the car together as I go, I hear that these kits are designed to run with stock fuel pumps and 24s so for the time being thats what im working with.

So today I took it for a ride and stepped on it a bit.. didnt launch it or anything but I did get the tach moving in a northerly direction, it pulls fine to about 5grand and right up to about 5700-5800 but seems to hit the rev limiter there.. it doesnt break up like it used to before the colder plugs and adjusted timing.. but certainly stops pulling. Should I be alarmed? I am told the rev limiter is in the 6000-6200 range but im just shy of that.. is that indicative of maybe the engine not getting the fuel it needs or is my problem elsewhere?

First off the fmu works fine, there is absolutely no need to blow money on a tune or 42lb injectors. It's internet myth that you should use a tune.

As for gas, if you can afford a supercharger, you can afford to use the best gas.
Always use a name brand (my preference being sunoco) and buy what ever the best octane is available in your area. You don't want to risk pinging with a supercharger because you tried to save $2 on a fill up.
Do not use no name gas stations or quick checks, wawa's etc..

So after driving it a bit things seem to be clearing up as far as running issues past 5500rpm. I did get a friend to ask some of the more reputable shops around our area and they wont tune the car with the FMU on it... so looks like 255lph fuel pump and 42lb injectors to follow... I really cant knock the FMU as 2 other people I know run them and make good HP, one of them I know made 495 on the dyno just recently.. these tuners know what works so I will make the swap and see what they can do for me. Thanks to all for the advice and help and I will be sure to report back.