Nexen 5000 Tires

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
Anyone running these or have a real world opinion on them. When I bought the car it had 245/45/17 Nexen 5000 tires on them and now I need new tires. I've had no complaints about them and I can get them for around $100 a piece. I would be replacing the two front tires and for the rears would be going with Nitto 555 275/40/17's

Ebay ad for reference

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152235727898?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The other option is to go Nitto all around.The front Nitto's would be around $125 each. I also like BFG KDW's but they are pricey.

• Sponsors (?)

I had nexens on the front of my fox when it had the 17" pony wheels. They were really narrow like a 215 or something on a 6" wide wheel. Kind of a big-n- little setup the PO put on it. They weren't 5000s but the tires did fine for as narrow as they were. Buried the speedo several times and they never went boom, so that's a plus. I think if I could get nittos for $25 bucks more I'd do that instead though..

Reactions: 2 users
I had nexens on the front of my fox when it had the 17" pony wheels. They were really narrow like a 215 or something on a 6" wide wheel. Kind of a big-n- little setup the PO put on it. They weren't 5000s but the tires did fine for as narrow as they were. Buried the speedo several times and they never went boom, so that's a plus. I think if I could get nittos for $25 bucks more I'd do that instead though..
I forgot about how you had my wheels before me and nexens are still on them! I doubt they're still the same ones you had but they've held up well so far and I have no problems with them.

Reactions: 1 user
The N5000's aren't exactly a performance tire. More like something you'd by as a replacement tire on a Crown Vic. There's a reason you can buy them so cheap. I've got a set of their high performance N3000's on my Fox nearing the end of their 4th-season and they're still almost like new. Quiet, lots of hook, great wet road manners and wear like iron. As good, or better as any well known brand tire in the same class I've ever run.

Here's the telltale sign that those tires suck.
treadwear rating 500...

With performance car tires, typically the lower the treadwear, the better the tire for grip and traction. For example, drag radials are 000 rated. They don't last, but they are sticky.

Gearbanger is right, those are tires you put on an old beater, not you beloved mustang.
They are meant to do one thing only, last long.

My first choice would always be Michelin performance tires, but many times they can break the bank. I also like the better sets of BFG's and nitto's.

i spoke to my rep at LMR yesterday.. going to wait until their black friday sale and hopefully get a set of 555's for cheap... 25/45/17 on front and 275/0/17 on rear. Believe it or not Wally World aka Walmart has the best prices I've seen on them so far.

i spoke to my rep at LMR yesterday.. going to wait until their black friday sale and hopefully get a set of 555's for cheap... 25/45/17 on front and 275/0/17 on rear. Believe it or not Wally World aka Walmart has the best prices I've seen on them so far.

Thats whats on my car now.

Reactions: 1 user
Opinions on these?

Well, you did ask for opinions....:D

Two of the cheapest tire brands on the market. Both of these companies are famous for designing a nice "looking" tire to undercut the cost and quality a more expensive legitimate offering from the competition, while still looking the part of a performance tire. That being said, I've never ran either tire specifically, but I have run other models from either company and have seen the results of others running them as well. At best, I'll give anything made by these two an "entry level, to mid level" rating at best. Priced right, and look good, but a true performance tire, they are not.

I've run both those brands, not sure if they are the same tire models though.
The sumitomo's I felt dry rotted and split way too soon and the kuhmo's were a balancing nightmare.
The sumi's were on the front of my mustang and the kuhmo's on all 4 corners of my explorer.

I prefer economizing with the best when it comes to tires. It's cheaper to buy a good set the first time than it is to buy two crummy sets.

I guess the question is, is there good tires on a budget.
I'd say yes, but you need to find sales and discounts.

I run the nitto 420s on my explorer.
I got them like 15% off, then I had another paypal coupon for another 20% off.
I landed up paying just over $400 for a set that should have been around $600.

Last edited: