Next Mod: Gears or Custom Tune

Gears or Tune??

• Custom chip tune

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Essn95

5 Year Member
Jun 21, 2017
So what I have lined up next for the Cobra is one of these two options. 3:73 gears installed will come in at just under the 500 dollar mark. A custom chip tune from dirtydirtyracing will be 250, includes 3 custom tunes for 87,91,and 93 octanes all for different performance levels. This seems great to offer different driving modes while offering the opportunity to save on gas money and cheaper than the gears.
My mods a listed below and I want to know which will provide the best value for performance and price.
-BBK CAI
-BBK 70mm TB
-Hurst shifter
- BBK catted x pipe
- SLP LM2 Catback

• Sponsors (?)

Gears. I agree with the first gear essentially not being there with the 373’s. I said in another post I’d go with 355, if I were to do it again.

Also, with 3.73 I think I’m running out of 4th at about 110mph. Running out of 4th at 120 would be better. With enough hp, 3.73 would be too steep for a 1/4 mile run

There isn’t enough done to your car to capitalize on a tune. You’re better off just advancing the timing just a bit yourself, as long as you don’t go too wild.

4.10 gears all day. I drive freeway at 75mph with a 26in tire and a .68 od and I sit right about 2700rpm. Interestingly enough I seem to get better fuel economy than when I had my 2.73s. Go figure. Did 100 miles to Charleston and got 22mpg.

Honestly, the 3.35 first isn’t as bad as people say if you can mash some quick 1-2 shifts . Just gotta keep the wheels from getting away from ya.

The tuner is pulling your chain. Don't let him screw up the stock tune. It will NOT gain 10-15 more hp than simply optimizing your base timing and leaving the stock tune alone, even if he manipulates a dyno to please you. Plus, if you're in this for the long haul, you'll need a tune again after you make any significant modifications. If you have or buy a timing light, we'd happily talk you through the process of advancing timing and get you a "free" 5-6 rwhp. In the future, you could adjust the timing on your own within 5 minutes to switch back and forth between 87 octane and 93 as you see fit. Where are you from? Maybe one of us lives close enough to lend a hand.

Don't fear the gear. I gather you have a '95 Cobra with stock size tires (255/45/17)? If that's true, then with 3.73s, you'd go nearly 125 mph through the traps at the limiter. Granted, you won't make it to that speed in the 1/4, but the point is that you won't run out of gear. In fact, 4.10s would be pretty near perfect through the 1/4 for your power band. I never felt that 1st was useless on the street with 4.10s in my last '91 Mustang that went 12.63@107mph on all-season 225/55/16 tires. I cut a 1.83 60' on those tires and I needed the gear to do it. But, to each their own. 4.10s definitely bring the RPMs and drone up on the highway. Good luck, man! And whatever you choose, I hope you have a blast with the car.

Reactions: 1 user
With your modifications you do not need to waste money on a tune. Do the gear swap and you'll be very happy it'll change the total feeling of the car and you'll pick a few mpg more around town after the power increase feeling wears off and you drive it normal again.

I really appreciate the help all of you, especially with that tuners claims turned me off quite a bit.
And I am located in the Oviedo, Fl area, the only problem is my distributor is stuck in the block so my timing is severely retarded at the moment and I’m still struggling to get it to advance @FastDriver
Had an old thread about this issue

To get that distributor to loosen up, spray a small amount of blaster or whatever your favorite penetrating lube, let it sit over night, spray it again then get a oil filter wrench and work it back and forth

Reactions: 1 user
Karthief has got you pointed in the right direction.

I literally had to use a crow bar on the '93 to get that distributor out. I don't recommend it, but it did work without damaging anything in my case.