Next Performance Mod

arcwcb

Oct 26, 2009
Pennsylvania
I have a 2006 GT 5-spd. The only performance mods so far are a JLT intake, SCT tuning, Borla axle-back and a 125 shot of N2O. From everybody's experience, what mods give the most HP and low-end torque for the money? I'm in college, so I don't want to waste money on mods that may not affect the car. It's not raced, it's just a DD that I like to have fun with. I was looking at CMCV deletes but I don't know if it's really worth the trouble. I see some pretty sick cars on here, what kind of stuff are you guys doing to your cars? I'm looking for 400 RWHP w/o the nitrous. And I'm in college, so don't even mention a blower, it'd already be on the car if I could afford to the $7K price lol. Any advice is appreciated!!!

• Sponsors (?)

First dont get caught up in a hp number. 400 is a lot without any kind of FI. If you plan to stay NA, then I would consider gears, long tube headers and a cam. Gears are tricky to install but you can do the headers and cam if you have some skills and or have a friend whom has em and can help. That has been my route.

patrick

I'm not stuck on "making the number" but I just wanted to give an idea of where I'm headed with the car, not over the top, but I wanna be able to compete with these new camaros without having to use the spray. I'm definitely looking at headers and cams, I'm probably gonna go with the JBA long tube headers and H-pipe, but I don't know what cam I should go with... I'm looking at either the FRPP Hot Rod cam or the BBR Stage 1 cam. I'm also looking to get the new FRPP intake and throttle body. From there, I didn't know if there was anything left to do that is worth the money besides just putting a stroker rotating assembly in the motor... Which I don't want to do JUST yet... lol

I would leave cams alone if you plan on getting a stroker motor down the line. CMCV deletes are always good, anytime you free up the intake track you make more power but you will need a tune for them. They're really easy to install and they make ones with bungs for nitrous.

Ok, so I'm sold on the CMCV deletes, I've heard a lot of good about them from here and other places, I definitely want LT Headers and a new mid-pipe. But I don't think any shop would be good enough to tune all of that to MAYBE a 30 RWHP gain... Is 400 RWHP pretty much unachievable in N/A form without cracking open the motor on an s197?

I've done the math and I can't find 400RWHP without opening the motor. I have 300 on an email tune and I have a lot of the bolt on's minus LT's (going in this weekend if I can clear a lift) with those and a dyno tune I don't see expect more then 30RWHP gain.

So, for the price, pretty much all bolt ons are worthless. I mean, I could drop $4k on headers, mid-pipe, intake, programmers, CMCVs, throttles, tuning, etc. just to end up with a 330 RWHP car OR i could leave everything alone, save my money for a bit, slap a low end vortech or paxton on it and have 420 RWHP. Or am I wrong in saying that?

I don't want to leave well enough alone. Honestly, I don't think the car will ever be finished, there is always something you can do to make it better. Maybe it's just because I'm a Mechanical Engineering student, but I love getting to mess with the motor and try out new parts and make my car better lol. I just want to do cost-effective upgrades, not just doing stuff just to say I did it.

Depends on what you want. After I install and tune the headers my car will be in the high 12's on street tires and dead 3.31:1 rear gears. I prefer the "sleeper". You can bolt on a blower and hit 420RWHP but guess what, you're going to be in the high 12's on street tire too, spinning even though you'll make power for deep 12's. Decision is yours to make :nice:, we can only make suggestions here.