No oil pressure....need help....

nmcgrawj

Advanced Member
Sep 28, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Whats up guys....long time no talk with most of ya. Anyway, im finally coming around the final stretch with getting my car back together. I ended up getting an explorer motor from the junkyard...tearing it down....new HG, new oil pump, etc. Put it back together....went to crank and im getting no oil pressure. No one single drop of oil is getting pumped into the filter. I do have a remote mount on the filter. I just dont get it...its gotta be between the dizzy, the oil pump shaft, and the oil pump.

Any ideas?:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I'd pull the distro and try priming it with a drill. It should really labor a 3/8" electric drill.

Maybe your pickup is blocked by the pan?

Maybe your pickup/pan setup is different than stock/normal and you are not getting the pickup into the oil?

Maybe your pickup is clogged?

Maybe you have an oil galley plug missing?

Rick

Not sure if it matters or if it would help, but I've heard of packing a new oil pump with grease to give it some volume to begin pumping. I believe it had something to do with being full of air, and not being able to pull the oil up the pickup tube.

Yea mike the pump shaft is in. Seems like i only have one choice....and thats to take her all back apart. I'll try running the drill to see if i get any luck. Maybe that will atleast tell me the problem is somewhere between the shaft/pump/pickup.

You may want to take off the driver side valve cover (easy side) before you run the drill. This way you can verify if oil is flowing out the top of your rockers. I did this and I was suprised at how long it took before the oil started flowing. I then put the cover back on and ran the drill for a couple more minutes.