Fuel No power at fuel pu

1995 v6 mustang I just bought I changed the gromlet on the supply tube on gas tank. I forgot to disconnect the battery cable. I damaged the connector when reinstalling the tank. It got hot and I could tell it was softened. I think it killed the pump and no power to the pump. I disconnected the inertia switch and jumped them. Still no power. Checked all fuses all good. It will start with starting fluid but doesn't stay running without using the fluid. Also check the fuses for power under hood and found no power to any of those maxi fuses even though I had the key on run. I only had a homemade circuit tester with a light. I now have a multi meter but this is a strange lol one
Any ideas before I go dig in again?

• Sponsors (?)

The connector still connected but I still cut it away from the leads and they were undamaged. I tried using the new meter and it didn't work. Heres a little background.
Just bought from friend payed up front $500 total. Buuut! He had replaced the pump with a new one that was for a truck. They had to modify it but it still didn't position properly so when you turn right it dies and a half tank is on empty. They also jumped the title three times. Not stolen. They were just bypassing taxes and I believe it was a jumper car if you know what I mean.
But I have been seeing a few other connections that have been getting hot repeatedly through the years.