Engine No start after HCI swap

• Sponsors (?)

I ran a similar setup with no problem. I also think you have your rockers set up wrong. I will say it again...Get to tdc on the compression stroke. Turn your distributor so the rotor points straight at the #1 on the cap and tighten the distributor so it doesn't move. Now set BOTH intake and exhaust for cylinder #1 (passengers side front). Then turn engine over by hand while watching the rotor until the rotor points to the next plug wire on the cap. That is #3 as we are following the firing order. Set the intake and exhaust valve on #3. Turn engine over by hand until the rotor reaches the next one.. this will be #7. Set intake and exhaust for #7. Continue this method until all 8 are done continuing using the firing order 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8.

I'm sure you know this but I want to cover all bases. The cylinders are as follows looking from the front

4..... 8
3..... 7
2 ..... 6
1 ......5

FRONT

Chris

Reactions: 1 users
I ran a similar setup with no problem. I also think you have your rockers set up wrong. I will say it again...Get to tdc on the compression stroke. Turn your distributor so the rotor points straight at the #1 on the cap and tighten the distributor so it doesn't move. Now set BOTH intake and exhaust for cylinder #1 (passengers side front). Then turn engine over by hand while watching the rotor until the rotor points to the next plug wire on the cap. That is #3 as we are following the firing order. Set the intake and exhaust valve on #3. Turn engine over by hand until the rotor reaches the next one.. this will be #7. Set intake and exhaust for #7. Continue this method until all 8 are done continuing using the firing order 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8.

I'm sure you know this but I want to cover all bases. The cylinders are as follows looking from the front

4..... 8
3..... 7
2 ..... 6
1 ......5

FRONT

Chris
Just to be clear.. top dead center will be right before the intake valve starts to open correct?

Top dead center is when the timing pointer is pointing at the harmonic balancer at the 0 mark on the balancer. Take out plug from cylinder #1. Put your thumb over the spark plug hole and turn engine over by hand. When the compression "pops" your thumb out you are very very close to top dead center. At this time line up the timing pointer with the 0 on the harmonic balancer by turning engine over by hand until it lines up. (Shouldn't take much as you should be real close)

Chris

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
So the rain stopped and the sun came out.. pulled the rockers off and found top dead center via the puff of air out of the spark plug hole and set the harmonic balancer at 0*tdc.. re installed rockers on cylinder 1 and rotated the crank again and was no longer getting the puff of air.. did the same thing and put 2 of my old stock length pushrods in and did get compression on cylinder #1. So I’m going to autozone to get 16 stock lengths. I’ll check back in later with an update.

So the rain stopped and the sun came out.. pulled the rockers off and found top dead center via the puff of air out of the spark plug hole and set the harmonic balancer at 0*tdc.. re installed rockers on cylinder 1 and rotated the crank again and was no longer getting the puff of air.. did the same thing and put 2 of my old stock length pushrods in and did get compression on cylinder #1. So I’m going to autozone to get 16 stock lengths. I’ll check back in later with an update.

Car fired right up with correct length pushrods albeit on 7 cylinders.. need to put the new unequal length headers on tomorrow so I can install all my plugs and wires. Had a ton of smoke. Only ran it for maybe 20 seconds.. I’m hoping that has to do with the temp outside and all the gas that is probably in the oil? Hopefully it will clear up tomorrow when I run it for more than a few seconds w/ the new headers on. Thanks again for all the help everybody

From reading your post let me say a couple things.
You should not run an engine without exhaust manifolds (in this case headers) and if the oil is gas contaminated change it before you go any farther.
It did have the old headers on it when I ran it. I just could only get 7 of my spark plug wires on. And changing the oil was on my to do list along with the new headers before I started it again

Got the new headers in and changed the oil and the car fired right up and sounded pretty nasty. Stupid water pump leaks like a sieve but that’s not the worst thing in the world. Took it for a quick spin to the end of the road and the car seemed pretty sluggish. Not sure if the h pipe bolted up to the headers to make a proper seal. So assuming the lack of back pressure was robbing me of some power. But other than that it road great and felt real smooth. Can’t thank you guys enough for the advice

What size rear gears are you running? With that cam you may need a different set to wake up the bottom end. Believe with that cam you wanna be in the neighborhood of 3.73 gears

What size rear gears are you running? With that cam you may need a different set to wake up the bottom end. Believe with that cam you wanna be in the neighborhood of 3.73 gears
I do have 373’s I definitely expected to have a nice seat of the pants feel when I drove it but it wasn’t there. Still have some fine tuning to do for sure