Non stock wheels and tires on a 65 coupe

David A

Sep 20, 2018
Beaufort, SC
Ok guys I’m getting Wilwood disc brakes on my 65 coupe to replace the stock drum brakes. I want to replace the stock wheels with maybe the Scott Drake styled alloy wheels. Wheel size will be 15/7. Can any of you guys tell me for sure if this setup will fit my stock 65 coupe? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok guys I’m getting Wilwood disc brakes on my 65 coupe to replace the stock drum brakes. I want to replace the stock wheels with maybe the Scott Drake styled alloy wheels. Wheel size will be 15/7. Can any of you guys tell me for sure if this setup will fit my stock 65 coupe? Thanks in advance.

Did Wilwood give you any specs on what would clear their brakes?

You have to watch two things. The first is diameter to clear the outside of the calipers and the second is the amount of clearance behind the spokes which will hit the face of your calipers. Back spacing is not the only determinant of fitment by a long shot.

I have 17x8, 4.75 bs Scott drakes. Had to grind on my calipers and still run a .250 spacer. They look great but a pain in the ass to make them fit.

Worst case is buy one from summit without a tire and then return if it doesn't fit

You have to watch two things. The first is diameter to clear the outside of the calipers and the second is the amount of clearance behind the spokes which will hit the face of your calipers. Back spacing is not the only determinant of fitment by a long shot.

I have 17x8, 4.75 bs Scott drakes. Had to grind on my calipers and still run a .250 spacer. They look great but a pain in the ass to make them fit.

Worst case is buy one from summit without a tire and then return if it doesn't fit

Attachments

• IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 147

Thanks those are good points. Now my wife wants it to look like the 65 she had when we met which is 14in wheels with spinner wheel covers.

. Now my wife wants it to look like the 65 she had when we met which is 14in wheels with spinner wheel covers.

Like this one a lot but only in 13 and 14 inch but will need little brakes for 14 inch tire

001.jpg

This 15 inch Galaxy is close to one available on the 65

s-l1600-4.jpg