Noobie questions, Please dont laugh. Ignition coil & Spark Plugs

Notchbackdrew

Mar 21, 2006
I just recently purchased a 88 coupe, all stock other then a Crane Hi6 ignition. I have always tryed to do my own work on all my vehicles just to learn the tools of the trade and to save money, and to be honest I enjoy doing it. Thats why Im coming to you guys to ask these embarrasing questions. Hopefully you guys wont be too rough on me and laugh me out of the forums :rlaugh:

After purchasing this car everything felt great, although it did seem like it was running fairly rich. A few days later after owning the car I started to feel a slight vibration, sort of like a miss. Mind you the car still ran, just felt like it was running on 7 cylinders instead of 8. I went ahead and changed the spark plugs, properly gapped them and popped them in, Although on the passenger side of the block, on the second cylinder, I couldnt get a socket over the plug, by luck I got it out by loosening the header. Putting it back in I could only get the plug finger tight. Will this cause problems???

The old spark plugs were horribly corroded, but after putting in the new plugs the miss is still there.

After doing some research I read quite a bit about ignition modules, and coils. I figure these havnt been replaced either, my only problem is I have no clue where the coil or the module is :rolleyes: . I know the coil sends a signal to the distributor to tell it to fire but what does the module do? Is the module the Crane ignition and what does this ignition do, just send a greater signal or increae spark for a better burn? Also, can someone please point me in the right direction on how to replace the coil? I would really appreciatte it. TIA!

• Sponsors (?)

coil is located on the driver side near the battery... also on ur distribitor the top plug (one in the center) goes over to ur coil... module is on the distribitor i think inside... but that shouldnt cause ur miss... i would change ur sparkplug wires cap and rotor... also change ur fuel filter... also what kind of spark plugs did u put in?

Thankyou so much Jaswir! I am suprised to see Ive gotten a responce so soon!

I forgot to mention the stang has GT40P heads from an explorer I think? Anyway I put in Autolite 103's. Is this ok? Also I mentioned I had to finger tighten one of the plugs, yikes, Im hoping its down in the cylinder ok.

Im not too sure where the fuel filter is either. :shrug: I apologize for these annoying questions. Ive searched but cant find anyone explaining where this stuff is. Ill see if I cant replace the coil tommorow. Thanks a bunch!

im not sure on the finger tight thing... im sure it might be ok... but i would try someway to get it a lil more tight! your fuel filter is on the passenger side near the back of the car close to the gas tank right near the rear end is... look for a round canister type thing... im sure someone else will chime in soon...

Thankyou guys for being so helpful. Ive been posting for days on different sites and could not get even one reply. On this site Ive gotten many replys in just an hour! This site is great!

Ok for replacing the coil and fuel filter, is there any specific brand I should look out for? I read not to buy a coil from autozone. I think I'll go down to Oreilly's and purchase a coil, cap and rotor, and filter from them. Is the replacement fairly straightforward?

I am going to reply to my other thread now. Thanks a bunch guys!

Notchbackdrew said:
Thankyou guys for being so helpful. Ive been posting for days on different sites and could not get even one reply. On this site Ive gotten many replys in just an hour! This site is great!

Ok for replacing the coil and fuel filter, is there any specific brand I should look out for? I read not to buy a coil from autozone. I think I'll go down to Oreilly's and purchase a coil, cap and rotor, and filter from them. Is the replacement fairly straightforward?

I am going to reply to my other thread now. Thanks a bunch guys!

im using a msd blaster coil and msd 6a ignition. i felt a great difference in response and mpg as well.

the fuel filter is located directly above your rear end differential mounted to the underside of the body. you should locate your fuel pump safety switch inside your rear trunk/hatch area... its got a little white button on it... unplug that and attempt to start the car... this will relieve fuel pressure so when you remove the fuel lines from the filter it doesnt blow gas all over everywhere. after that you just remove the plastic clips from the filter, then unbolt the little hoseclamp that holds it on and it slides right out.

I have used an ACCEL coil and wires from autozone
and had no issue at all. My car felt like it was running at it peak performance wtih those products. Also you can take a spark plug socket and cut it slightly down the center twice not even a half an inch apart and grind what is left on the socket to make it thinner. You should be able to tighten up you plug with it.

Finger tight will not do for the spark plug. You should really go back out and try to sinch down that spark plug with a wrench. If your car has equal length shorty headers, this might be easier said than done. I like to use my fingers to get the plug socket on the plug and then I put the ratchet on. This seems to work for me. Also, don't be afraid to take things off or out of the engine bay to give yourself some more room to work.

Any store brand coil should be OK.. I have also used the store brand plug wires, but so far I really like the FRPP (Ford Racing Parts) 9mm wires.

Now, on to your miss.... Instead of running around replacing everything on the car, I sugguest that you retrieve the codes from the computer. It is very easy and totally free. Use the search function (at the top of the boards) and search for the following [threads containing] Codes & [Posts made by] JRichker He has all of the information for you to walk you through the 2 minute process of diagnossing your car in your driveway. If you don't want to search, there is a thread at the top of the page (this morning) with his post on dumping the codes out of the computer.

Oh and the CEL (check engine light) doesn't have to be on for the computer to store a code.