Not a mechanic, (ac system removal)

philipmc4

Oct 28, 2019
virginia
I have my first mustang a 1965 fastback it an ac system from 1966 (best I can tell) that’s leaking badly. I want to remove it and seal up the firewall, but I am having trouble finding information on how to do so. Internet searches haven’t helped thus far. I’m unsure about disconnecting coolant lines and electrical especially. Anyone have advice?

• Sponsors (?)

Shouldn't be much to it. I removed the AC in my 65 a while back, and don't remember all the details. The systems are fairly straight forward. As for the coolant it's just Freon. You can either take it to a shop to have it evacuated or you can crack a fitting and it will just come out. If its leaking that badly there probably isn't much left in it. The electrical should just be power going to the clutch on the AC compressor and to the fan on the evaporator in the car. Just trace the wires back to the source. I would unplug them and tie them back with zip ties or electrical tape. You don't want to cut anything up in case you want to put it back.

I cant remember if the AC lines go through the firewall and attach to the evaporator in the car or in the engine compartment. Either way it shouldn't take more than a large wrench or adjustable wrench to disconnect them.

Why not just fix the AC? I would think AC would be nice in a fastback on a hot day. I was going to put the system back in my car, but someone stole it. :mad:

Heaters out as well, so I am planning an upgraded combo system. As well I have major wiring and cowl rust issues to address. I need it out of the way for now. Thanks for your help. “Crack a fitting” means just loosening one off the ends of one of the lines? Any line?