not new to boards, but adding a new pony to my garage

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
I have been on the boards for a little bit. Had a 88lx, then an 01 gt and my current 88 5.0 5 spd coupe. Tomorrow I will being picking up a 66 coupe. It is an AZ car and is clean as far as frame rails and rust are concerned. A little surface rust here and there but the floor boards are solid and the trunk is clean so I am off to a good start.

It has a non running I6 in between the shock towers but it is not running. It needs to be restored so here are my plans.

Initially just clean up. Interior is partially stripped so I am going to sand all the surface rust (not much here) and add either roll on bed liner or por-15 on the underside of the roof and floor boards. then I will do the same to the bottom of the car taking out the gas tank and anything else in the way. This is going to be a year or two project so time isnt an issue.

while this isnt my first mustang it is my first 66. I did have a 65 ranchero 289 t-10 when I was a young-ling and was surprised to see the similarities of the two cars. what I am looking for are suggestions or things to look out for. I will build a 302 based motor for it (probably carbed) and know I have to change out the entire suspension. I was also thinking I might get rid of the shock towers and toss in a mustang II suspension but my welding skills are only so-so and I dont know If I could handle such a task. What are you guys opinions on this?

Pics will follow but for the first few weeks it will be just clean up and painting. wish me luck

• Sponsors (?)

no rust besides the surface rust you see on the hood. Everything else is solid. The floor boards, trunk, rear window channel etc. are all there and perfect. shock towers and frame rails are great. It has been an Arizona car so it is in awesome condition. $700 and I just couldnt pass it up.