Not really a Mustang, but talk nonetheless, 2005 Escape feedback...

How many of you who own Escapes also own Mustangs (and so I count - about to own too)

• I dont, but wouldnt mind picking one up if I could...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mickey21

May 10, 2002
Austin, TX
About to sign on the dotted line for a 2005 Ford Escape. Any owners of this model year out there to give me some feedback? Any things I should look out for or have checked out first? Glaring TSB's that are known about? I have researched it a bit myself but just wanted some first hand owner feedback on the car/SUV whatever...

Background:
I am buying this car as a reasonable gas mileage city driving work car. I needed something with some space in the back, but didnt want something hulky around Austin. The compact parking spaces here are ridiculous and anything bigger will likely chug the gas by the truck load. Mostly I dont want to spend half my week pouring gas back into it. I will be driving around town quite a bit in this and so it has to be automatic and be able to put reasonable size items in the back and go. Mostly computer equipment so a truck is kind of ruled out of course. And I plan on buying a Shelby when I can get one without fighting over it, which I am hoping for late 2006 to spring 2007ish. Not holding out to under MSRP kind of thing, but not going to pay 5-10K over just because... This will just be my work car.

Any thoughts? Model in consideration is a 2005 Blue XLT with just about every option that was available at the time for probably about $17,500 with about 19000 miles on it. I just want to know what others have had experience with this car and such. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just thought I would post a few pictures of my new "ride".

2005FordEscape.jpg

2005FordEscape2.jpg

2005FordEscape3.jpg

2005FordEscape4.jpg

2005FordEscape5.jpg

2005FordEscape7.jpg

2005FordEscape8.jpg

2005FordEscape9.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

What engine are you getting?
I have a 2004. 3.0 liter. My Mustang (2004, 4.6 liter) gets better mileage. Seriously.

I average 24 in my car and the Escape is lucky to hit 19. It has been in for both the throttle cable and rear liftgate TSB's.

I've also asked them why it drinks gas--they've looked it over, upside down, and have no solid answers. Been to two dealerships to confirm this.

If you are getting the 4-cylinder, it might do better on gas, but will be a total pooch in terms of acceleration.

To do it again, I would have gotten a crew cab F-150. At least then, I could have towed more and gotten crappy mileage.

I am getting the V6 in the XLT version. I say reasonable gas mileage in comparison to basically not driving the Shelby around all day... :) But yeah, I am aware the average for City driving on that vehicle is around 17-19 mpg. Basically there isnt much better in that size and class, but understand that the mpg rating of the vehicle isnt the main factor. Just part of my decision. In the end it the ability to move objects up to about 26 inches cubed in the back and do it safer than a truck can. A truck doesnt offer protection to the elements or being stolen of fragile computer hard drives and equipment I will have to lug around town.

I appreciate your feedback. I too was torn over a truck instead. But 15 mpg city on even a V6 F150 is not good at all either. Man the decisions...:bang::bang::bang:

It's a sweet truck, my fiancee has one, she has the 3.0 V6 XLT 4x4, kicks ass in the snow (though ur in Texas, so I guess it doenst matter). Did have to take it back to get front brakes replaced under warranty. There was a slight shimmy/studder under medium to heavy braking from the get go, dunno why she didn't notice it in the test drive. Apparently it's pretty common. But after the warranty work and almost 8k miles no problems, runs like a champ. I love it. My Fiancee gets around 20 mpg mixed city/highway driving. I get 15 in my 4.6 stang lol.

After reading my post again, I realize I was kind of harsh. Aside from the poor fuel economy, the Escape fits our needs perfectly. It's sporty, not huge like its larger SUV siblings, and is easy for my wife to handle. Easier to load our son in and out versus a car, too.

I think you'll enjoy yours when you get it. Ours has every option except leather (towing package, moonroof, stereo, step bars, etc).

I believe the rear liftgate latch was found to be defective upon collision and would not hold up to impact standards. They replaced it and it started the infamous “creak” or “groan” shortly after, which every Escape owner has frowned upon. It (noise) is solved by electrical tape or a Teflon gasket purchased from your dealership or parts store. I chose the tape option.

4u2nv said:
I believe the rear liftgate latch was found to be defective upon collision and would not hold up to impact standards. They replaced it and it started the infamous “creak” or “groan” shortly after, which every Escape owner has frowned upon. It (noise) is solved by electrical tape or a Teflon gasket purchased from your dealership or parts store. I chose the tape option.
i think i have the creak or groan. it did it even before the rear liftgate latch recall. it was a recall, not a tsb. mine is v6 2wd. we usually get around 18/19 in town and we just went on a road trip. we got 23 mpg, but winter is not the best time to calculate mpg. my 05 gt does get better gas milage, just like 4u2nv said. mine will also spin the tires really good. it has a lot of pep, i am pleased. we call it the speed buggy. (for those who are old enough to remember speed buggy). the escape fits our needs well. i would recommend one to anyone wanting a smaller suv.

4u2nv, where did you put the tape?

bigcat said:
4u2nv, where did you put the tape?

Around the shaft of the striker pin, below the circular pin head. I did about 3 or 4 wraps and then called it good. You may require more/less depending on tape brand and ambient temperature. Also, you may have to re-apply it after a year or two, depending on how many times you lift the gate. Hope that helps.

Not sure if you are considering any other SUVs but my wife just bought a Hyundai Tucson, after looking at the Escape (among others). So far I love it it get decent mpg has plenty of room and the best part a 10yr warrantee.

Not really SFL, but I appreciate the feedback. I wanted to stay Ford as I have always been and have always been treated well. I also plan on hitting them back up for the Shelby soon so I thought it would be easier to keep it in the family and I get a discount on the Fords for where I work.

Thanks for the info 4u2nv, I will keep that in mind. You wouldnt have a picture of your change to make the problem go away just in case would you? Doesnt hurt to be prepared.

I just called over to them and they have the truck ready. Feels funny even calling it a truck as they call it, but oh well. Cant wait to pick it up. Getting new cars are so much fun. Ended up being a Norsea Blue 2005 XLT 3.0 V6 model (6 disc Mach 360 stereo, moonroof, painted two tone chassis , power everything). Only thing I wanted that wasnt on it was the tow package. Which is an easy addon I guess. In the end my job is going to pay for my car because they allow car fees in their work compensation. $400 per month automatically rolled into my pay which with this car coming in just under $400, it works out great doesnt it... :) Life could be worse... Still cant wait for the Shelby too though, that will be a moment in my life... Not too long from now. Unfortunately, that one I have to pay for myself...

Mickey21 said:
Thanks for the info 4u2nv, I will keep that in mind. You wouldnt have a picture of your change to make the problem go away just in case would you? Doesnt hurt to be prepared.

I don't have a picture directly, but can snap one later on tonight and post it up for you. Shoot me PM as a reminder, later on. :)

Mickey21 said:
Only thing I wanted that wasnt on it was the tow package. Which is an easy addon I guess.

The OEM tow package is pretty sweet. More than just a hitch. They add the tranny cooler which is pretty nice. I wish an oil cooler was an option they added as well. You can easily add one on, so you'll be fine.

OK...you will have to post up pictures when you get this new ride. :nice:

I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute (Escape clone) with the V6. If you have a choice go with the FWD instead of AWD. This will give you a bit better gas mileage. I get about the same highway mileage as my 2000 Mustang GT but a bit better in town than the stang. Expect 24 on the highway (my best is 26) but be aware that they aren't the most aerodynamic so if you want to go 80+, and they do so easily, you'll drop into the 20-22 range. The two vehicles are an interesting study in aerodynamics, rolling resistance, frictional losses as the two weigh almost the exact same. Overall, its been an excellent dependable vehicle that we now have over 92k miles on with nothing other than regular service. The standard tires tend to get noisy before they wear out. I like the storage room (easily put 2 bikes in the back with the seat down) and I tow a 2300 lb boat with mine. I expect to buy another Escape in a couple of years or maybe the Edge. Oddly enough, I am sitting in a hotel room in Austin as I write this - traffic sucks in the town on I-35!!

All us stang owners have to have at least one vehicle that is practical. Especially if you have a convertible! Now if only I could figure out how to put an SHO motor into my Tribute! That would ruin the front tires.

I had a 2005 Escape Limited and my wife was driving a 2003 Nissan Altima. She let me trade in the Nissan for a 2005 Mustang and she is now driving the Escape. The four-wheel drive (it's actually automatic four-wheel drive) is great. Overall it's a wonderful vehicle. Has satellite radio, wish the Mustang had a direct hook-up. Gas mileage is nothing to brag about if you have the 4.0 liter V-6. But neither is mileage in a Ranger or something like that. Great vehicle in my opinion and well worth the money.