Not The Torque Box Thread I Was Hoping To Post.

gearheadboy

15 Year Member
Jan 15, 2003
Greencastle Pa
So I knew the lower torque boxes were poo and needed help fast. So I figured I'd do the top too.. I've had the rear seat out for a while and looked at the lowers. Tonight I removed the sound deadener <--however you spell that) and found how BAD the top really is. I need opinions from people with experience with this. Can I still add the tops and do a little welding to the mess or do I really need the $350.00 bracket that can be purchased to fix the top? You can see the broken lower spot welds near the rubber plugs and the welds broken in the center of the floor.
100_1104.JPG
100_1105.JPG
100_1106.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Haven't jacked it up yet. I haven't been driving the car, I bought it like this. I had the fuel tank out, pinion seal, rear apart, and trans out, never noticed the top had a problem. (wasn't really looking) but saw the bottoms had some minor damage. I'll get it up on stands tomorrow to see what gives. I was gonna bolt all this in and take it to my friends to weld them.

At least we know your beer is cold! "When the mountains turn blue, it's as cold as the rockies" Good looking metal work too!
I was gonna post that! The mountains match the car! I rarely drink but that was one super awesome reward. I have full length subframes with the seat brackets and torque box lower plate that are going on too. I'll post pics as it gets done. I still have a little cleaning underneath to do on the cracks and factory seams then off to my welder. I'm gonna bring it home and paint everything up before I fit the subframes and take it back for that weld job. The idea was to destroy as little car as possible. I'm gonna put some sound deadener back in when I'm done.

I decided to glass bead and paint my uppers while they were out and also painted my full length sub frames before install. I figured they would be impossible to paint on top once in. I did tape up some mounting points and weld areas. I'll primer and paint the welded areas once welded.
Control Arms.jpg
primer.jpg
paint.jpg

New pics of my progress... Primered the bare metal, painted the spare tire well with good primer and rattle can blue just to get it close. Nobody will ever see it but I know its there. And some sound deadener to replace the factory stuff I removed. 25sqft only 9lbs. Heated it with a heat gun and rolled it out. This is turning into a build thread.
100_1124.JPG
100_1125.JPG
100_1126.JPG
100_1129.JPG
100_1130.JPG