Notchback Coolant And Oil Weight

Garyj92

Nov 28, 2017
Hey got a vortech v1 supercharger on my 88 notch not self contained fed from oil pan. I have got two questions first is i live in Canada BC to be exact car is only spring summer driven odd fall drive, what weight oil you guys running previous owner suggest royal purple what weight???. Second question is got a coolant/overflow tank on the car i opened it its empty what do i put in it straight water or??? Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

I would use Rotella 15w 40
You should find out why there is no coolant in the overflow.
Never put tap water into a cooling system, it contains impurities that lead to corrosion. Only use distilled water.
Check for leaks, bad hoses, etc. and then I would check the coolant to see if it is still good. It should ebe changed every 3 years at a ,minimum. Use the regular green stuff. Up north I would mix it 50/50 with distilled water.
Use a Lisel funnel to burp the system.

Reactions: 1 users
How much fluid goes into the overflow tank? About half or less?
Never put tap water into a cooling system, it contains impurities that lead to corrosion. Only use distilled water.
Check for leaks, bad hoses, etc. and then I would check the coolant to see if it is still good. It should ebe changed every 3 years at a ,minimum. Use the regular green stuff. Up north I would mix it 50/50 with distilled water.

About half, there are indicators molded into the plastic tank marked 'hot/cold' but they are hard to see after years of use.
Thanks yeah i looked to see if there was a full empty mark but there isn't appreciate the help is it fine to just dump royal purple coolant or this requires a fresh flush as i don't know what brand coolant previous owner used.

Thanks yeah i looked to see if there was a full empty mark but there isn't appreciate the help is it fine to just dump royal purple coolant or this requires a fresh flush as i don't know what brand coolant previous owner used.

Use regular 50/50 green coolant. You do not need royal purple coolant.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey so pretty new to this how would you burp the overflow? As i saw some videos of them burping the actual coolant resvoior, if so do i just burp it like a regular fill like the videos for the overflow?

Hey so pretty new to this how would you burp the overflow? As i saw some videos of them burping the actual coolant resvoior, if so do i just burp it like a regular fill like the videos for the overflow?
You don't burp the overflow, you burp the radiator. Remove the radiator cap before engine warms up & pressurizes system. With cap off, you can look inside, as air escapes, level will drop. Add no coolant since escaping air will blow it out. When no more air escapes turn off engine & top off. Replace cap & fill overflow to low level indicator.

An air bubble or pocket will try to form at the highest point in the system. Maybe that's the upper radiator hose on yours. But you need to run it with the cap open until you are sure the coolant is flowing and you have topped it off. Some long timer here jacks up the front end to insure the radiator is the highest part. Mine have not been that stubborn.
At your heat range, I doubt 15w anything is actualy needed. Follow the manual. As far as Rotella and Royal Purple, if a major brand has a synthetic oil for less, you are likely to get just as good stuff from Quaker or Penn. Rotella makes some very good diesel truck engine oils, but the oil additive package may not match what your gas motor needs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user