Odd Cooling Problem ----Need Help!-Long

Ok so I just got done changing my head gaskets and I am having problems. First, a brief history.

1. Rebuilt engine after buying car with 2 blown pistons.

2. After rebuild, blew head gasket

3. replaced head gaskets, took it for a spin, overheated and blew another head gasket.

4. Figured ok, It's either a warped head or cracked block, etc. Had the heads checked and one head was slightly warped so the machine shop shaved it down.

5. Currently----I reassemble motor and it was running great in my garage. No bubbles in coolant, no smoke, no engine temp fluctuation. Then I took it around the neighborhood real slow like and I noticed the temp fluctuating. This time I did not let the temp get over 230 or so. Still no smoke. Well I checked the coolant and it was very low. Then I drained the oil and low and behold I found where my coolant was hiding:bang: . So I am thinking cracked block or the worst ya know. Well I searched stang net, corral etc and thought maybe it is my timing cover so I did the following:
--drained oil, poured coolant in thermostat bypass hose outlet on water pump. fluid drained out of the lower rad hose outlet, no water in the oil pan.
--- next, poured water into heater hose rail that has an outlet to the lower intake. Water came out of the lower rad hose outlet:shrug: . I can't see why this would happen, is there a link b/w the intake and the water pump ( I wouldn't think that the upper hose would come into play in a test like this). Also after I did this test, some water came out of the oil pan.

I am thinking that it is a either an intake gasket, timing cover or cracked block. Does this sound right, or is there somethig I am overlooking. Any input or suggestions would help. Also if there are any other test I can do to narrow down the problem that would be great. I have had the car for a year now and I just want to drive it. I don't know exactly how the cooling system works, but I have learned quite a bit by tearing into the motor so much! Please Help!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

One question first. You said one head was slightly warped so the machine shop milled it....I am assuming they also milled the "good" head to match. Sounds stupid, but I have seen shops in the past take one head slightly down and just resurface the other head. Maybe it works for a daily driver car, but I wouldn't do it on a car that gets beat on. The intake manifold will not sit perfectly flush and COULD leak coolant.

well that is not enough to have to angle plan the intake side.Must have a cracked block. if you poured water in the heater hose and it ran out the lower rad. hose its is probably going though the by pass hose.I would pull the timing chain cover off and make sure the gasket is ok.If it is i would pull the intake off and make sure the gasket didn't move while you where puting the intake back on after the head gasket job.While u have the intake off take a straight edge and make sure that the intake isn't warped ( I have seen intake be warped after geting run hot).If all looks good must be a cracked block.

Why not try a pressure tester? You should beable to see where the coolant is coming from with it pressurized. pull the plugs, pressurize the system, and see if you get coolant in the cylinders, then it could be an intake gasket. Try the pressure tester first. You can loan one from Autozone for like 80 bucks, then you get your money back.

I'll definitely go get that tester, I'll just need to put my water pump and thermostat housing back on. I've been pouring water in the intake like crazy and can't get it to come out of the oil pan, I'm thinkin that the pressure will get the leak going again. This mess is driving me insane, I hate to just go tearing off part after part. How will I tell if water is getting into the cylinders? Probably something obvious, but at this point I can barely think straight!

I am running a stock cobra set up. Cobra intake, gt 40 cast heads. Heads decked .05 just to straighten the surface. block has been bored to 306. stock accessories. I have not been able to drive the car more than down the road and back since I have rebuilt the motor. I have done some heavy acceleration in to seat the rings, but that has not been the problem. felpro head gaskets 1101-2( i think). tried felpro intake gaskets 1250 and 1263, now have a ford motor sport gasket that has 1262 stamped on it from a local speed shop, but have not installed it yet. 1263 is currently on the motor. Then only gasket that is reamaining from the rebuild is the timing cover which has me leaning that way. I am going to autozone sometime today to purchase/rent the pressure tester if they have it.

I will be glad to give anymore info if it will help!

I am not being a smartass when I ask this...

Are you installing the head gaskets the correct way? Coolant holes only go to the front on both sides. In other words one gasket will 'appear' to be upside down when installing compared to the other side.

Also what are you setting base timing to?

yeah, I definitely installed them corectly this time, becuase the machine shop and I think I may have installed them incorrectly last time. Stupid me forgot to look when I took them off, but by comparing the gaskets and the marks on the head, we think I screwed up. Regardless, I know they are on right this time. My timing is round 12 right now. I am not going to bump it up until I get it running correctly. I have the pressure tester now, so hopefully I will have some results tommorow. Otherwise, it's time to start tearing off parts again:notnice: .