Odd Transmission Problem

94GTStang

Founding Member
Oct 26, 2001
Oklahoma City
For a couple months now, there has been a squeeling noise coming from my T-5 transmission. It does it when it's warm, cold, wet, dry whatever. The noise goes away when I depress or lightly tap on the clutch pedal though. Sounds like a classic case of a throw out bearing? The car has only 33K miles on the ticker.

Last night, I took out my Steeda Tri-Ax and put in the old shifter. Since I was taking it into the dealership for warrenty work and I didn't want it to be kicked back out.
Today, I drove the 5 miles to the dealership and no noise. Their mechanic looks at it. No noise. :shrug:

I'm speechless here. For some reason I highly doubt that the shifter really made that squeeling noise. I am aware that I get some extra drivetrain vibration due to the soildness of the shifter, but what gives? Everyone I've talked to says the same thing, it's a TOB.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Eric

EDIT: The idler pulley was changed out a while back ago as well for I thought it might be that.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, it's for my V6. I figured since it shares the same T5 as the 94/5 GT's and I'd get a quicker response, I'd ask you guys.

As for the 94GT Brad, I have only gotten to drive it once since it's been back. But I think it is doing pretty good thus far. It shifts pretty hard!

I talked to the dealership and they said that they can't find anything wrong with the car. Which is really frustrating since I know it does it! It just won't do it for them! Grrr...... Oh well. I will just ave to make a video documentary of it doing it and give it to them. Sigh.....

Thanks again for the input guys!

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/hanlon_faq.htm

5.) Q: When I have my car in neutral and my foot is off the clutch, my car chirps like a bird. Is there something wrong with my transmission?
A: The problem is most likely with your throw-out bearing, and not the transmission. When the bearing runs out of grease, it begins to squeak. Because you have to remove the transmission to change the throw-out bearing , it is best to change the clutch too. Also it is a good idea to change the following: Clutch / pressure plate, pilot bushing / bearing, release fork and ball-stud, input bearing retainer (click here to see a high mileage aluminum retainer). You should also check the flywheel and rear main seal. (Remember to drain the oil before you remove the drive shaft.)