oil in muffler

k5zx

Apr 6, 2006
I recently noticed oil in my magnaflow muffler. Does this mean bad rings or what? the other muffler is a bassani. I also have 4.10 gears I don't know if that is relevant. did the different mufflers mess the exhaust flow and hurt my engine? the bassani muffler visibly emits alot more fumes.
thanks

Are you sure it is oil?? Could be your tune is off a bit, or depending on your climate, you have had a couple short drives where the car runs rich (warming up) that will "blacken" the inside of your pipes, then throw a little condensation in, and the water mixes with the carbon to look like oil?

yesterday I thought I had posted to another thread (that apparently didnt go through) explaining the following-

Within days of putting in the bassanis, I backed up a driveway on an inclune and mashed one of hte bassanis. I didnt want to spend the $ for another one so had a magnaflow put in. They sound similiar enough.

I am experiencing a typical Oklahoma winter (in the 70s yesterday, freezing rain moving in tonight, rain and snow mix tues, and snow wednesday). But mainly it has been freezing and I think maybe you are right. ALso yesterday I checked my CAI filter and it was totally black. I washed it last night. finally my car has been running lean ever since I put ram air on it.