oil leak: could this be the problem?

saleener94

Apr 24, 2006
Compton,CA
gasket1 001.jpg

gasket1 002.jpg

Is this normal or sticking out way too much? Can this be the reason for oil splatter all over my starter, bottom rear of headers and bottom of rear spark plug boot?bottom pic is a tear in the front but no leak there.

• Sponsors (?)

Could definitely be a problem, though I'm not sure if that's causing the symptoms you describe. A good test is to degrease the area really good, especially around the gasket area. Then drive for a bit and see if the oil returns.

Another source of oil leaks is the valve cover gaskets, but that would result in oil on top of the headers and spark plug wires not on the bottom.

I'd unhook the steering shaft as well, it's only one bolt. The bolts will hold the rack up fairly well, but you might want to put a jackstand under it to be safe.

release mounts and jack it up as high as it will go then snake the new gasket in. helps alot having a lift.

you asking about the rack? yes remove the two and it will pull forward (disconnect steering shaft)

ok thanx. I don't have a lift I was thinking lifting from oil pan with a piece of would of course and then placing some wood blocks by motor mounts. I have to take off starter, disconnect headers to h-pipe and trans mount.

I finally swapped the oil pan gasket yesterday. Took me and a friend about 7 hours . Does not splatter all over anymore but rear main leaks more than before and I saw some power steering fluid drops on the floor. I used the felpro one piece and put sealant. I had a feeling the rear was going to leak.