Oil pan

Brislin23

May 10, 2020
New jersey
I'm doing a crab swap on a 95 with a 74 motor and I'm having trouble trying to figure out the oil pan. The pan for the 95 doesn't have a dipstick hole. And the 74 went through the timing cover. But the 95 is rear sump. And all the one I found are for a 351. Can someone help. Please I'm so close to having this puzzle put together.

• Sponsors (?)

The "newer" engine blocks have a pocket cast into the driver side, where a hole for the dip stick is drilled (engine is upside down on the picture):
oil-pan-installation-ford-302-02-600x450.jpg

74 engine will not have this pocket or the hole.

There is a solution where the dip stick goes trough the pan, not the block (for engine swaps like you do).
This should work, but is high priced:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/canton-...-use-without-support-girdle-1979-1995/p/OPK3/

If you want to do it cheap. Try to weld such a dip stick provision to the pan you have, but a dip stick in. fill the engine up with 5 qts of engine oil let it run for some minutes and mark this oil level to the dip stick you are using. Than you have at least the right oil level.

Reactions: 1 user
On early blocks, like your 74, the dipstick tube is pressed into a hole in the timing cover on the passenger (right) side, as you noticed. In the later 5.0's, the dipstick tube is pressed into a hole in the side of the block.

The 75-78 Mustang II, as well as a swapped 74 II, have rear sump pans. The Fox cars as well as the early SN95's have dual sump pans, a larger sump in the rear and a smaller one in the front. The oil pan really doesn't have anything to do with the dipstick in either one.

SO...... if you're using a 74 block, you'll have to source a timing cover that will work with what you have.

I'm doing a crab swap on a 95 with a 74 motor......

How's that crab working for you? (Just messing with ya! :jester:)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Yep..... You'd think I'd know that, huh?? Lol

Reactions: 1 user