oil pressure gauge wiring

Gandalf79

Jun 14, 2023
Ok you have all been so helpful with my threads, thank you!
My next question is a part two to my oil pressure thread posted awhile back. I do have oil pressure according to my external gauge kit but I want to get my original gauge to read. Anyone have the wiring diagram for the gauge cluster for a 79? I have a lone black wire dangling down to the floor from the harness and hoping thats it. There were some wires pulled from their positions from the previous owner that had to be re seated.

• Sponsors (?)

My next question is a part two to my oil pressure thread posted awhile back. I do have oil pressure according to my external gauge kit but I want to get my original gauge to read. Anyone have the wiring diagram for the gauge cluster for a 79? I have a lone black wire dangling down to the floor from the harness and hoping thats it. There were some wires pulled from their positions from the previous owner that had to be re seated.
Do you know if the sending unit is good?

Do you know if the sending unit is good?
I bought and installed new one recently. I tested the pressure directly from the motor recently and it starts cold at about 50 or so and idles down to about 22.
Im either going to figure out the wiring or install an external gauge if need be,
I could also replace sending unit wire as well. Guessing that goes to the gauge or the cluster?

I have the chilton book and I think it may have this in there. I will check, thank you!
there should be step by step tests to diagnose the problem in your car...
Not sure about the Chilton, in my day they were always way to vague with too many models included in one book, but I have this manual for my 83 and I use it alot more than the 3 FSM manuals I have.....

Reactions: 1 user
One of the harness plugs to the cluster has the wires for your gages. There shouldn’t be any wire hanging loose.

If you have a wire out at the sending unit them just use a DVM set for continuity and put one of the DVM leads on the end of that wire and the other lead on the end of the wire in the car and if if beeps then chances are that is it. If they are different colors then odds are they are not.