Oil Pressure Guage Question

USCGunner

Jun 10, 2017
Idaho
91 LX 5.0 oil pressure at start-up in in the middle of the gauge, when I accelerate the gauge shows the pressure rising toward the top of the gauge but never leaving the normal range. I have never experienced this type of issue. Is the oil sending unit bad? 100259 miles. thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

How high is it going? Raising a notch or when you raise the RPMs so is normal. However, if it's going from the middle of the guage to near the top that's definitely a problem. You're probably right in thinking it's the sender. They are known to go bad, but most of the time they register low.

How high is it going? Raising a notch or when you raise the RPMs so is normal. However, if it's going from the middle of the guage to near the top that's definitely a problem. You're probably right in thinking it's the sender. They are known to go bad, but most of the time they register low.

It goes up about three marks on acceleration, when I let off it goes back to the middle of the gauge.

Stock gauges are known to be inaccurate, a mechanical gauge is the way to go, just don't use the plastic tubing in the cheap sets, I have autometer classic electronic oil and temp gauges, oil pressure is right on but the temp reads 10 degrees hotter than the engine is actually running, your gauge, by your description is likely pretty good. Remember, these engines are designed to run 195 to 210