Oil Pump Gears Or Harmonic Balancer?

15GTrob

5 Year Member
Aug 23, 2015
I've been reading up on oil pump gears and how the harmonics of the engine are causing them to shatter. Replacing them would be A LOT of work. What if I just installed a really awesome harmonic balancer?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't really want to be the guy to test my own theory considering my car is financed lol. a balancer would be way easier to install. I really don't want to pull the front of the car off, intercooler, blower, accessories.

It's a real PITA to install the gears, especially being a blower car. Personally I bit the bullet and did the gears, I have reused the harmonic balancer fwiw.

It will probably take me a couple days ugh if I'm tearing down that far I'm thinking replace the whole pump with the cobra jet high volume pump with billet gears.

Might as well order a new crate motor....
No way! It's about 600$ in parts and the motor will be solid as a rock afterwards. The crate motors for the most part still have the same Achilles heel with the sprocket. If you're doing headers and all that at the same time it will cut down on some of the labor. Honestly, the oil pump pickup tube bolts are the hardest ones to get to.

In the picture you can see the sprocket that is on the crank snout, you can also see the pick up tube bolts. The top bolt is easy, the lower bolt is under the plane of the oil pan and a real PITA to get started once removed. The pump attaches with a few bolts and the gears are easy enough to swap. I wouldn't order a complete pump personally.
2016-07-12 20.11.10.jpg