Oil smells like gas?

killerstang04

Nov 4, 2004
Hey all. Im kinda new to Mustang's so if you could help me out i got 3 questions. Thanks
1- My engine oil smells slightly like gasoline, engines only got 2500 miles on it, and oil only has 1500 on it. What could this be?
2- When i kinda get into the car a little bit, (stomp on the gas) i smell rotten eggs. All i have is a cat back (slp). Its coming from the exhaust i think.
3- How bad is it on the powertrain to powershift and chirp second gear in these cars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, hate to be a worry wart! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

1. I'm not sure

2. Might have some type of leak in your exhaust system.

3. Only thing its bad on is the clutch. Just make sure not to miss a gear when you powershift...you might break something in the tranny. If you want your clutch to last, dont powershift often...

1) It's normal for most crankcases to smell a little (nothing excessive) like gas after some miles, minor blow-by is a product of the combustion process and another good reason to change your oil regularly.
2) The rotten egg smell is you working the engine which heats up the cats giving you that lovely smell. If you look inside the tips of your exhaust and see some carbon, I wouldn't worry too much about the smell. If it's clean as a whistle without any traces of carbon your A/F ratio could be too lean up top when your romping on it which isn't good.
3) Your car should be able to stand up to some powerrshifts here and there, but all the time and you'll eventually break something.

True Blue youre a life saver haha. Yeah ive got some carbon deposits on my tips, which i figured from running a little rich. The gas smell isnt excessive at all, and youre probably right about the catalytic converter. Thanks alot man.

your oil smells like gas becuase the engine / rings are not seated yet. It will take 10,000 miles before your engine is "broken" in. If it really smells like gas change it as soon as you can.

The rotten egg smell is from your cats...a nice long spirited highway drive should help with that.