Engine Oil Swap

Coyote Stipes

Apr 28, 2016
Not liking the stock 302's 5w-50 motorcraft oil. Wanting to swap to Valvoline 10w-30. If Ya wouldn't mind dropping some opinions,or if you have swapped, it would be a big help.

What don't you like about the oil? I would stick with the recommendation from Ford. Your performance is not going to be affected and picking a different oil may increase wear.

If you are bent on changing the oil, you may be able to get away with changing the 5W, but I would not change the 50. The former is tied to cold temperature viscosity and the latter is high temperature viscosity. Maybe you won't see the colder temperatures that a 5W helps with but the engine will achieve the same operating temperature wherever you are. FYI, SAE50 actually has a higher viscosity than SAE30 at high temperature so I'm not sure why it would be called a thinner oil. These engines are not like the older engines that all used 5W-30 or 10W-30. It's your choice what you want to do, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have modifications that dictate a change.

Here is a reference:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Don't like the 5w, like you mentioned I don't see as much cold weather as other states. I've tried to find 10w-50 in other brands but the highest I was able to find was 10w-40. Preciate the incite though, guessing I'll stay with 5w-50 just will be changing brands. Thinking of Castrol, as it's the only other brand that has 5w-50 that I can find around here.

All oil goes thin when heated and 5W50 is about as good as you can do without going to STP!!

BTW.....5W50 is "thicker" than 10W30.....the low number is effective weight cold and the high number is effective weight hot!!

Thicker oil will not lubricate better and WILL rob power!!

There is no real MAGIC in different oil brands or additives!!
Just use what the manufacturer recommends and change it and the filter at reasonable intervals....you will be fine!!