Oil weight idea

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
With the borough complaining about my car not being inspected I have come up with a idea.

Actually my dad suggested it. I'm going to try putting it back together (put the vc's back on) and adding heavier weight oil. I have always used 10w 30. I use that in all my vehicles. I am thinking about trying 10w 40 and seeing what happens. I hope that if it is another bad lifter it will stop the knocking or at least quiet it down so I know thats the problem.

So my main reason for this post is for you guys thoughts, comments, and concerns on this idea?

If it works I'll get it tagged and inspected and maybe drive it once in a while for short trips.

• Sponsors (?)

Well we put straight 50 weight oil in my buddy's old crappy grand am, and it stopped the loud tick that it had... He ended up running it that way for over a year until he busted a half shaft and sold it to a junk yard. I guess its worth a try?

good ol' STP...

throw some Stay Together Please in there and it might quiet it down. No telling til you try it though.

Another thing you could try doing is running some ATF or mystery oil through it then change the oil out. Never know.

As a side note, we once had a car that came in the shop...and this thing knocked more than the UPS man. We gave the lady a price on a new engine. She didn't want to do it because of money. So we put some STP in there and the knocking stopped for the most part. The lady put over 30000 miles on it since then and just adds another bottle or two during each oil change. Definitely not great for the motor....but you never know.

I used to use the lucas stuff with every change. I have since seen video that when using it your oil foams. I used it in the car when it went to hell, I used it in the truck and the cam bearings were breaking down. I have decided not to use it anymore. What do I have to lose

I used to use the lucas stuff with every change. I have since seen video that when using it your oil foams. I used it in the car when it went to hell, I used it in the truck and the cam bearings were breaking down. I have decided not to use it anymore. What do I have to lose

Only in your gear box...

lucas is good stuff man... i had a probe that i over heated the hell out of... I would eat 12quarts between changes my valve seals were like non existent.... used 20-50 oil.... and lucas.... got it down to like 2 quarts... ran quiet.... and alot less clouds of blue smoke on start up.... i mean id smoke out the parking lot at highschool... kept on running though... and this was in a 2.0 4cyl....

I would flush the motor (ATF, Marvel Mystery Oil, Motor Flush, etc) then try running soem thick oil... Like 20w50... '

Best case, you can use the car...

Worst case the motor is junk but you are not driving it right now anyway so this is a non-issue...