Ok if you guys were in my spot, what would you do?

Here's a brief rundown of my situation. Sold my 5.0, decided to get something more streetable and that can be daily driven. I have about 9k to spend so i've mostly been looking at fairly high mileage 99-00 cars. Talked to my parents today. They said they will give me an early graduation present of some cash to put towards a car. My guess is it'll be ballpark 4k, could be more or less. Here is my thinking.

1. I could probably get a 99 cobra or low mileage 00-02 car.
OR
2. I could buy one of the higher mileage cars i was looking at and i would have money for mods.

Obviously, since i post on this site, i'm not stranger to the 'mod bug'. I like to to maybe buy a 99-00 car and be able to do a nice stereo system and maybe some boost. Car has to remain streetable and i have a tendency to like appearance type mods as much or more than performance, ie rims springs would be a must on whatever i get. Also, i'd like to keep the mods to things that can be taken off the car if i sell, since i can see that happening in a couple years. What would you guys do?

• Sponsors (?)

well i was gonna say u probably could get a nice decent 96-98 cobra. u can get a pretty well done up 99-04 2 valve that u can put a down payment on or u can buy straight up. u might be able to find a 99-01 cobra cheap but your most likely going to to spend about 13k for a 99-01 cobra. depends if u don't want to make payments.

Have you ruled out 94-98 Cobras or are you specifically wanting 99-Up Mustangs? 'cause I have found a lot of 94-98 Cobras with low mileage and because of their "status" are usually well taken care of and they have all the creature comforts and benefits of that platform which would make an excellent daily driver IMO. And whether you opt for 5.0 or 4.6 power you'll get a nice package right out of the box.

get a 99+ car. just get a good car with low miles so that you have a good base car to mod. why buy a car with high hiles and try to mod it? id rather have a really nice nearly stock stang that a bolt on with high miles and in not so good condition.

I thought about a ws6, if the interior was nicer i'd prolly consider it more.

I'm looking at a couple cars in the next couple days, one with 65k and two with around 95k. Trying to find the best deal and then going from there i think. I have a line on a turbo kit, but we'll see :cheers:

Ok turns out i have 14k total to spend, tho if i was to get something to mod, i'd obviously have more money as time goes along. Its nice having money to shop, but what id really like to find is an 00gt with like 60k for like 10k, but no luck yet.

Wow, good find there, that last one in particular looks really good. Thanks for the heads up!

As for the market in NY, its not bad, but most people want too much for their cars. It's the typical situation of people modify the car and thinking that the mods increase the value. One of the cars i'm seeing tomorrow, the guy bought it for like 9k, put 3k into (mostly wear items like shocks and struts) and think it's worth 10500, bottom dollar. My thinking is, if you bought a car a couple years ago, the value you lose in depreciation equals what you put into it, hence that car is worth 9k.

there is a guy on long island with a mint garage kept 2000 mustang gt with a 9psi kb kit on it 3.55 gears, tokico drop kit(shocks and springs), exhaust, etc. It has 16,500 miles. Think he is asking 17k but wouldnt ahve to do anything to it

i couldn't sell my car with the cams and all on long island. I was asking 9,250. You've seen my mods list oh well kept it and put lt's and that in it.

Ruckus46Gt said:
there is a guy on long island with a mint garage kept 2000 mustang gt with a 9psi kb kit on it 3.55 gears, tokico drop kit(shocks and springs), exhaust, etc. It has 16,500 miles. Think he is asking 17k but wouldnt ahve to do anything to it

i couldn't sell my car with the cams and all on long island. I was asking 9,250. You've seen my mods list oh well kept it and put lt's and that in it.

Obivously i can't swing 17k, but i would love to find a car thats basically 'done'. You guys all know that you pay less for mods on a car than you do if you mod the car yourself, so that would be perfect.