One more Firewall Adjuster thread.

If you have a dremel and a decent drill I'd put a reinforcement plate behind it while it's out. That metal on the firewall tends to flex. Over time you can start to get cracks around the hole or the little angle to the left ( looking at the firewall )will start to become distorted. If yours isn't you are very lucky. It just takes a piece of steel cut in a square and a hole made in it for the adjuster. Some people put a couple screws in the plate to attach it. I don't do that....don't need it. The adjuster will hold it. Can cut some cardboard to make the shape needed for that spot just about 3 by 3 inches...might be 2.5. I haven't done it to my current car but it will be done.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Wayne, the members here will give their opinions, tell you what works on their junk and kick you in the shins when you are dead wrong, believe me on the latter, I've taken it on the shin several times!
In the end though any one of us would help you push your junk uphill on a rainy day if need be.
I personally would just use the dump truck but that's me. I ain't push'n sht!
Don't worry about stepping in anything around here, we will let you know and then buy you one of them beers with a funny name that you'll say is good even if it ain't.

Reactions: 1 users
Here’s one of those beers now (as I read this). But I’d be there to help push for sure!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Hell Yeah!
Yes. I read a lot about the Fiore only to find out they aren't in business anymore. Lethal used to carry them but I never read anything about them making their own version. I'll go back and look. I've never owned anything made by UPR. I'm kinda scared of them....lol. I'll do some looking at that particular piece though.
I also looked everywhere for that bearing fix but couldn't remember who did it. @jrichker do you have a link to your post about this?
Oh....and I run Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. I'm good with stock pedal effort.

Thanks @Noobz347
Clutch cable failure
About every 3-4 days I had to adjust the clutch cable. It seemed to lose adjustment and the transmission wouldn't go into gear. Since it was an adjustable cable, I thought that it might be stretched so I bought a replacement. Good idea, but not because the cable was stretched...

011-jpg.574708

010-jpg.574707

?temp_hash=15df5a6761cc9ef46ef52a40408d68c4%20.jpg

I have never seen a cable fail in this manner. It was a Ford Racing part, so I wasn't expecting to see this.

While I was at it, I fixed the problem of the firewall adjuster being difficult to turn. I added a roller thrust bearing to the adjuster. Now it is easy to turn and since the adjuster has click stops built into it, there is no worry about it moving without me turning it. It cost about $8 plus the shipping.
attachments\574702

attachments\574703

attachments\574704

Use some wheel bearing grease on the meal races where they face the bearing. Then apply some to the nylon sleeve where it fits into the adjuster. This keeps everything lubed up and moving freely when you turn the adjuster. The wheel bearing grease won't melt or wash out due to the heat and moisture in the engine compartment.
www.mscdirect.com was the source for the parts
03380920 1 each 0.750X1.250X0.078 THRUST CAGE-NEEDLE ASSEMB
03381092 2 each 0.750X1.250X0.032 THRUST WASHER-NEEDLE-FLAT

• Useful
Reactions: 5 users
I’m going to be that guy Im sorry . The stigma of UPR around here is flat out aggravating at times . Sure they had there shortcomings early on .

Those guys are at every major race . The customer service is second to none . They take care of the customer beyond .

Agreed. I've known those guys since the business was called "Super Stang." They were known for their attention to detail and customer service back then. They had a few short years of some bad product runs, and that's all it took for them to get a bad reputation.

Kurt

Agreed. I've known those guys since the business was called "Super Stang." They were known for their attention to detail and customer service back then. They had a few short years of some bad product runs, and that's all it took for them to get a bad reputation.

Kurt
It didn’t ruin the business I’ll tell you that . They have come along way . Those guys are aces

I didn't slam them. See....I even said I'd take another look. I trust your opinion Jeff. Always.

I must have stepped in something around here and didn't even know it. Been seeing it at times on here and have been wondering.
If I offended someone somehow I didn't intend to. The last three months taking care of my stepdad (and mom) from the wreck....him still to this day being in ICU...all has been overwhelming. This forum has been the one and only escape I've had. I'd hate that to not be here for me.
Oh no you’re all good I was just making a statement because the minute anyone mentions the company you get the typical they suck response and people haven’t used the stuff since it had an issue . Those guys do more then right by me so I feel sometimes I need to speak where it’s warranted . No foul on your part at all

It didn’t ruin the business I’ll tell you that . They have come along way . Those guys are aces

I would say that it is more a matter of which search engine you use than the actual facts of their business. The bad press has definitely hurt their business to some degree. The internet is a medium through which knowledge and ignorance travel at the same velocity and carry the same momentum.

Kurt

My car came with the SVE firewall adjuster and it seems to be beefy and good quality? I just installed a steeda adjustable clutch cable so we'll see how both do over time. My car will see very limited miles so I'm not overly concerned at this point