Opinion on a 86 Mustang

Lynx331

Jan 5, 2004
Chicago IL
Hey guys. Me and my dad are looking into a 86 mustang. Its got heads, cam, intake, injectors, t-5, 4.10's, locked rear end ( that would have 2 be change for it to be a street car ) and it runs 12.3 at the track. The only thing it needs im told is paint. Hes asking 3,000. What do you guys think?

Look over the car thoroughly. Look under the carpet in the hatch area(assuming it's a GT), crawl under every inch of the car with a flashlight and look for anything out of the ordinary. Take your time, it'll pay off in the end.

If the car proves to be solid, it's a steal.

we havent seen the car yet, were going to go look at it maybe later on this week. One other thing i found out today is theres something wrong with 3rd gear, my uncle says its like 100 fix soo thats not 2 bad. Yea thats why im considering this car, i like the newer ones better 87-93 but no one really has these, i never see them, i only see the newer ones.

I am rebuilind a tranny as we speak. A 3rd gear is only around 100 bucks as you say but plan on putting in a syncro kit and remember there a reason that gear is gone. Plan on around 400 bucks to get it all back to normal.

no, im not looking for a project car. I have a 67 mustang in the garage thats in the middle of a resto. But im so tired of driving my 6 banger around. So im going to sell that use the money from it to buy this car, and i'll still have quite a bit left over to get this one going and then either put the rest into a paintjob or put the rest into my 67