OPINIONS NEEDED (regarding my '80 Capri project)

FrankenStang

Now, give me a damn CT!
15 Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
Florence, Az
First, here's the link to my progress thread.

http://forums.stangnet.com/764657-1...aero-conversion-reversal-progress-thread.html

Now, here is my question...

I'm thinking about putting a Saleen ground effects kit on the car once I get the correct body parts on it (nose, rear bumper). Something like Capri Debris' Capri...
capribebris.jpg

:drool: btw

Was kind of wanting to use the Saleen air dam I have on there now with a Capri nose. Already have a Saleen wing on there. What do y'all think? :thinking:

Basically, it'll look slightly different than below. Just with a Capri nose and rear bumper. I am in no way committed to doing this. I am just asking for opinions.

100_1837.jpg

100_1839.jpg

I'm not going to lie... I love the way the ass on my car looks... :drool: I wish I didn't have to change out the rear bumper but, I do in order for the trim to match. I mean, look at the hips on that thing... Capri fenders FTMFW. :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

I thought you wanted it to be a Capri again?

I like the white cars looks and the Saleen nose but think the Capri nose is better. Also, im sorry, I dont care for you hatch shelf :(

:lol:

Well, the wing is already there and I don't know if I can find the one
I want...

I want this one...
79_MustangPaceCar_Pic1.jpg

The Saleen air dam is only a piece that attaches to the actual nose of the car. I was thinking of putting it on when I get a Capri nose. I am NOT keeping the Mustang nose on it.

^ Yes please! That would look killer witha RS nose :drool: But not a Capri headlight/grill and Saleen lower IMHO :shrug:

here is what you should do because this is what i would do if i ever get my hands on a capri.exactly what you plan on doing the saleen kit with the capri nose would look great but i would take it a step further and get the rear bumper that came on the bubble nose. then get the front and rear mclaren blackout covers . i like the saleen wing but if you think of even think changing it i would go either lx or cobra.then paint it black with a spray gun and your car would be perfect.

here is what you should do because this is what i would do if i ever get my hands on a capri.exactly what you plan on doing the saleen kit with the capri nose would look great but i would take it a step further and get the rear bumper that came on the bubble nose. then get the front and rear mclaren blackout covers . i like the saleen wing but if you think of even think changing it i would go either lx or cobra.then paint it black with a spray gun and your car would be perfect.
Ummmm, no bubble hatch anything will touch my beloved Capri. :fuss:
I say convert it to an aero fox nose and setup.. Oh wait........
:mad:
You need to find a Capri air dam :leaving:
I'm still waiting to find one. :cry: I still have the money.

I am just going to get the red one in the junkyard. It's not in very good shape but, I apparently don't have a choice.:(

My dad had a 79 spoiler that he was going to work with. I don't know if he hacked it all up or not yet...or if he has all 3 peices, but if he does I can talk to him and see if he still wants it or wants to get rid of it.

Well it's possible to put that valance on the Capri nose, but the problem is that the Capri nose is so square in the corners that getting it to fit is going to take some work with a heat gun. Also depending on which year the valance is for, it may be too long or too short in the fender extension area...remember that whatever year it was that Pony's came out, the wheel wells got bigger and the fender extensions got narrower...so you need to look into what year that nose/fenders/valance is that's on your car right now and find out if it's the newer size fender or older size.

Personally i'm not sure how it's gonna turn out. I've seen the Saleen valance on '85-86 noses and it looks incredible, but those noses are a little more round on the sides and they match up pretty well with the valance. Then again, i personally don't like side skirts on the Capri/GT's that had the valance..i don't really care for side skirts at all really.

I was going to mention the Capri nose shape being different than the aero nose shape, but 85_SS_302_coupe beat me to it. I feel like it would take a lot of work to make look right.

I do like the Saleen effects on the Capri though.

Another thing came to mind about the nose shape...i think even with heat you're going to have problems with it fitting right...think about it, if you take something round and stretch it over something that's more square, you end up with slack at the ends. I think to get it to lay right on the corners of the nose you'll have to heat it and get it to lay down, and i think that'll cause it to be long at the fenders. I think the best option here is to get that aftermarket valance that's close to the RS valance. I know that means more money but it would be better looking IMO.

Thanks for the opinions, guys.

Please, to avoid infractions, if you have something you are offering to sell me, PM me instead of posting it here. While I do appreciate it, I don't want y'all to get in trouble. :nice:

Well it's possible to put that valance on the Capri nose, but the problem is that the Capri nose is so square in the corners that getting it to fit is going to take some work with a heat gun. Also depending on which year the valance is for, it may be too long or too short in the fender extension area...remember that whatever year it was that Pony's came out, the wheel wells got bigger and the fender extensions got narrower...so you need to look into what year that nose/fenders/valance is that's on your car right now and find out if it's the newer size fender or older size.

Personally i'm not sure how it's gonna turn out. I've seen the Saleen valance on '85-86 noses and it looks incredible, but those noses are a little more round on the sides and they match up pretty well with the valance. Then again, i personally don't like side skirts on the Capri/GT's that had the valance..i don't really care for side skirts at all really.

Another thing came to mind about the nose shape...i think even with heat you're going to have problems with it fitting right...think about it, if you take something round and stretch it over something that's more square, you end up with slack at the ends. I think to get it to lay right on the corners of the nose you'll have to heat it and get it to lay down, and i think that'll cause it to be long at the fenders. I think the best option here is to get that aftermarket valance that's close to the RS valance. I know that means more money but it would be better looking IMO.

Good point! I guess reusing my Saleen air dam is out of the question.

I had a guy gonna sell me the air dam for mine, and I was going with the SVO qtr window panels, and the SVO little side skirts- I don't care for a lot of unnecessary plastic on my cars, I guess I'm old school that way. But there was a really cool ducktail spoiler on the RS Turbo's bubble, only a couple three inches long, flat black, and went the width of the bubble glass across the hatch. My guy wouldn't part with it, its still on his. I don't have a pic, but I can prolly scare one up. It made the bubble :nice:! I love the Capri fender/quarter contours, my Ttop 83 was gonna have the factory red/red stripes, makes them jump off the car wicked!