Opinions on motor/transmission combo...

Dylan

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Colorado
Finally wanting to get my 68 Coupe running again and trying to decide which route to go. It currently has a 289 that's already been bored 40 over and needs lots of attention if I were to decide to keep this motor. Years ago, I put a close ratio toploader behind that 289 which left a lot to be desired in off the line performance, especially when paired with 2.79 or 3.00 rear diff (I forget which it is). One requirement I have is that I want a manual transmission. I'm also leaning towards buying a Blueprint crate motor to go in this car.

The options as I see them are:
1. Keep the close ratio toploader and get a motor with a ton of low end torque that would work well with the 2.38:1 first gear. That motor would probably be a 408w putting out 425 hp and 455 lb ft from Blueprint.
2. Go with a 302 based motor like a 347 from Blueprint putting out 415 hp and lb ft (at higher rpm). I think I would then need a better first gear ratio and could either try to find a wide ratio toploader or get something like a tko.

Any thoughts or opinions? Especially from anyone experienced with a close ratio toploader? This car will be street only and while I don't do tons of interstate driving, it would be nice to be able to.

• Sponsors (?)

What is the car suppose to be when it grows up, a 1/4 miler, a Sunday go to car show , a Saturday night cruiser, or a daily driver?

Your first setup would have probably been fine with a 3.50 in the butt end, for a fun streetable cruiser..

What is the car suppose to be when it grows up, a 1/4 miler, a Sunday go to car show , a Saturday night cruiser, or a daily driver?
I think that alone should be "stickied", where's the mod?

Seriously though...what if you are a bit scatterbrained and dyslexic like me and want all of the above but in one vehicle?

I think that alone should be "stickied", where's the mod?

Seriously though...what if you are a bit scatterbrained and dyslexic like me and want all of the above but in one vehicle?

Sorry, thought I covered that when I said street only. This will only be used as a fun cruiser, mostly around town, sometimes to work, and I would like to be able to go 75 if needed for an hour without hating it.

Anyone have any experience with a tremec 3550? I've found a few used for sale in my area.

My opinion would be to keep what you have and switch rear end gears to ~3.50 or 3.73 and see if you like the performance, then decide on new motor, as they are expensive!! Rear gears are cheaper.

what ever motor you choose to run, i would say get the T3550 and run a 3.50 - 3.73 rear gear. personally i would run a 302 based engine making probably around 350hp. that would make for a good street combination.

My personal preference on a sport type car is less gears and more low end torque. I like the feel of a big block and a 4 speed on the road. Unfortunately mustangs tend to handle crappy with a BB up front, so my best setup in a stang would be a windsor a 4spd and probably 3.50's in the 9". 300 honest HP is plenty for a stang to have fun with.