Opinions

Jaime Tucjer

Aug 14, 2017
Ok here is my dilemma, I need to change my heads out. I know modular heads has a stage 2 package complete kit with stage 2.5 cam for 2895. Trick Flow has a complete kit with a stage three Cushman cam for 3600. I'm only going to run 100 shot of nos. It's a stock 4.6 2v with all the bolt on's. So is it really worth the extra money for what I need.

• Sponsors (?)

Ported PI heads are a great improvement over stock. The trick flow heads take it even further and really shine in the upper rpm range (biggest benefit can be made above the stock redline).

That being said - the stock PI heads work very well with forced induction / nitrous. Unless something is known to be wrong with the heads - I wouldn’t write them off at 150,000 miles. These motors are very resilient. The stock heads / cams have excellent driveability (you will lose some drivability with aftermarket cams).

With your current boltons and a 100 shot than your end result is going to be somewhere mid 300rwhp. The stock shortblocks are good to 400rwhp.

The question for your wallet to answer is that last 30-50rwhp worth the labor and cost of heads / cams.

I would take a good look at your long term goals- if long term you want more power than 400rwhp I would be saving up for forged internals plus heads / cams rather than putting on heads / cams on a stock shortblock.

Reactions: 1 user
There stock orginal heads. Have about 150,000 miles on them.
Ported PI heads are a great improvement over stock. The trick flow heads take it even further and really shine in the upper rpm range (biggest benefit can be made above the stock redline).

That being said - the stock PI heads work very well with forced induction / nitrous. Unless something is known to be wrong with the heads - I wouldn’t write them off at 150,000 miles. These motors are very resilient. The stock heads / cams have excellent driveability (you will lose some drivability with aftermarket cams).

With your current boltons and a 100 shot than your end result is going to be somewhere mid 300rwhp. The stock shortblocks are good to 400rwhp.

The question for your wallet to answer is that last 30-50rwhp worth the labor and cost of heads / cams.

I would take a good look at your long term goals- if long term you want more power than 400rwhp I would be saving up for forged internals plus heads / cams rather than putting on heads / cams on a stock shortblock.
I really appreciate that feed back. I'm thinking I might need to step back and reevaluate this. Great information.

TrickFlow heads + their smaller cam. Unless its a track only car, that stage 3 cam will make the car a dog for driving on the street.

At 150k miles, I'd be looking into a rebuild or finding a used shortblock.