Original Flowmaster 40 Series

xruiz

May 2, 2005
Houston,TX
I'm probably going to order them this weekend but first I wanted to ask, How many of you have them welded in? and how is the noise inside the car with them installed? Any help is appreciated. -Thanks In Advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I dont have them, but you can expect them to be pretty loud inside the car. Any good quality sound clip should give you a good idea of what to expect. Best way to describe them would probably be permanant bass...like subs that never shut off.

I have them welded in and absolutely hate them...

In my opinon, they are not much louder than stock at IDLE. They are not overly loud inside the car at all, you can have the radio on 2 bars and still easily here it, even at 2-3k rpms.

some people swear by them, but until I get a midpipe(X) I am very disappointed in them.

0LASERGT1 said:
I have them welded in and absolutely hate them...

In my opinon, they are not much louder than stock at IDLE. They are not overly loud inside the car at all, you can have the radio on 2 bars and still easily here it, even at 2-3k rpms.

some people swear by them, but until I get a midpipe(X) I am very disappointed in them.

Get an x-pipe, then itll be enough for ya :nice:

I bought my car with weld in 40 series. LOVE the sound. Start up sound amazing and everyone I know likes the sound of it. Cruising at like 50 or 60 there is no sound in the car, very quiet. WOT and any gear around 2.2-2.5 is fairly loud but sound so sweet.

Pughman said:
you got some ?
As the matter of fact yes I do :D
Will sell you my 8 month old pair I got in my car for $70 + 8 shipping if you are interested PM me
If you want to hear how they sound with a Off road prochamber CLICKY HERE, they are 2 chamber 40 Series originals with offset. Fit like a glove :D

I have 40s welded in on my 98 'Vert. They're pretty tame at low throttle, do give some drone at 2000-2500 RPMs. Best of all, they explode with sound when you nail the throttle down. Paid about 200 for the Flows and that included installation which took about 20 minutes. I saw that Midas is now selling them and installing them per a commercial last weekend on "Powerblock". Overall, I'm pretty happy with them, not what I want in the long run (Hooker LTs, Hooker X w/Magnaflow Catbacks), but for the amount of money ($200 vs. $1000+), I got some good sound for now.

I have a weird combo!

xruiz said:
I'm probably going to order them this weekend but first I wanted to ask, How many of you have them welded in? and how is the noise inside the car with them installed? Any help is appreciated. -Thanks In Advance.

I think the Flowmaster 40 series has a great musclecar tone. Flowmaster has more of a hollow rumble than the other brands. I would say MAC or Flowmaster either one would be great, if you want that sound. Currently I have Original 40 Flows on my car. I had Magnaflow, and I'll say, the drone is definitely louder than the Magnaflows on the inside and they are a LOT louder on the outside. The pitch is completely different, and I think that is what attributes most of the loudness change. The flows are more growly/hollow/gurgly sounding, whereas the Magnaflows are more Euro/smooth/purr-like.

It all depends on what you want. You will hear the Flowmasters inside your car more than you will Magnaflow. I had Magnaflow welded in when I first got my car, and they were barely louder than stock when I was accelerating. I got a MAC cat back after that, and I had a terrible buzz I couldn't get rid of, so I put a complete Magnaflow 2.5 cat back on after that. Now, I have the Magnaflow Cat back with Original 40 Flowmasters bolted into it instead of the Magnaflows. I still have Magnaflow tubing, and funniest of all, Magnaflow tips on! :rlaugh: It sure doesn't sound like Magnaflow now though!

I also have a catted X-pipe too, so my exhaust is a little louder than it would normally be. If you're looking for Flowmaster sound but not much interior drone, I'd go with the 50 Series. If you want loud muslcecar sound, get MAC or 40 Flowmaster series. If you want Euro-like purring sound that's loud at WOT but quieter all around, get Magnaflow.

That has been my personal experience, if that helps any. :D

02GTKB said:
Will sell you my 8 month old pair I got in my car for $70 + 8 shipping if you are interested PM me
If you want to hear how they sound with a Off road prochamber CLICKY HERE, they are 2 chamber 40 Series originals with offset. Fit like a glove :D

****ing god. I want that car, and I know it's for sale, but my bank and insurance companies would be looking for hitmen if i got it. :nice:

02GTKB said:
Just got around to clicking that link, man that 'Stang is SICK! :puke:
Now if I could just win the lottery and get some serious mojo parts! :hail2:

I have origional flows welded in (2.5" in/out), they sound great with Bassani O/R X-pipe, (you'll save a few $$$ over a catback), when you drive down the street setting off car alarms I think it is pretty loud, it turns heads and puts imports to shame