Original H-Pipe install

vinces

Jul 29, 2009
Hi guys, i was looking for some advice...

I am replacing an aftermarket H-Pipe on a 1989 LX, and assuming i can get the rusted bolts off, I need to put the original H back on. It's my nephews new fisrt car, and when i crawled under it last night, i saw the craziest 'clamp' in the little emmisions tube. I will need to cut that, as I have no clue how it was installed, but my question is, how would be a good/easy way to attached that tube coming down from engine to the original H-Pipe, w/o welding it? COuld i use a hi-temp silicone sleeve or something? I own a 1986 GT, with original H-Pipe, but haven't had a chance to see how it it attached. I thought someone mention

thanks!!!ed to me that is is with a hard rubber hose?

• Sponsors (?)

That little emmission tube has a small bracket that uses the passenger side header bolt to secure it. The little crazy clamp has a nut on it, loosen the nut on the clamp, then remove the header bolt, pass side, holding the tube bracket, then you can twist the emmission air tube back and forth to remove it from h-pipe.

Hmm, i should have taken a picture of it last night. I sort of follow what you are saying, and YES, that is the craziest clamp i have ever seen. I didn't notice a nut on it, and almost think the previous owner may have welded it back together, so my dilema is how to re-attach once i get it off. Or, did one end fit into the other end from the factory original set-up. I thought it was sleeved with a hard rubber heat resistant hose?

With most aftermarket pipes you cut the emissions tube an inch or so forward of the nipple on the pipe, then connect it with a piece of hi-temp hose and a couple of hose clamps.

I thought so, and i think the tubing is about 7/8"-1"......I was just talking to local NAPA guy and he had 5/8", but thinks he has some other pieces lying around too.

THanks for your help!

3/4" heater hose.

Just cut the metal pipe back to a nice straight section where you can slide about 1" of heater hose over it. Cut out about a 2" gap, then slide the heater hose over both ends, and tighten with hose clamps.

How i've done ever car i've ever installed an h-pipe on.