Fox Original valve covers for 1986 Mustang 5.0

Does anyone have photos of the original valve covers for this engine? I have an engine in parts (minus some key items) and want to put it together correctly. I have seen some photos on the internet showing the same valve covers as the 87+ engines. Is this true? I have an extra set of those.
Also, while we are talking about it, are the front accessory mounting brackets the same as 87+ engines?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the valve covers are the same as the 87-90 mustangs. I believe in 1991 Ford changed how they made the covers so it’s slightly different.

Inside the valve cover will be a part number E6ZE signifies a 1986 Mustang engineering part number, and the 87 in the circle is the actual year the valve cover was cast and the dots are the months. In this case, october of 1987 and these valve covers were on my ‘88 built in early 1988

39DC8DD4-8DCE-48BD-8ADC-136895FCEDAA.jpeg

Front dress is very similar to 1987 and 1988 if not identical. I believe the front dress actually began in 1984 and carried through.

...... I wonder what the difference is between the early and late cast covers.
The factory valve covers on my 85 had cast-in ribs on the top and "POWERED BY FORD" was cast into a blank spot in the ribbed area.

Here's an example I found on ebay.

Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for. I'll check my valve covers to see what the part number is. I wonder what the difference is between the early and late cast covers.

Differences between 86-90 and 91-93 covers is that the later covers have more internal clearance as some of the reinforcing ribs are removed. SO they might allow for a set of roller rockers to clear better. I do not know what year the transition was, it could be 1991 or 1992.

1993-95 cobra valve covers are unique as they are double wall stamped and have a sound insulation material between the two layers. The 91-93 thunderbird/cougar and 94-95 mustang GT have similar valve covers but it's not clear if they also have the insulation material between the two layers.

1993-95 cobra valve covers are unique as they are double wall stamped and have a sound insulation material between the two layers. The 91-93 thunderbird/cougar and 94-95 mustang GT have similar valve covers but it's not clear if they also have the insulation material between the two layers.
Fyi, my source shows that the double-walled "sandwich-style" valve covers (with the sound insulating mastic layer) did not come on the 93 Cobra..... they only came on the 94-95 Cobra, and subsequently on 96-and-later Mountaineers with the 5.0L motor. I don't believe the 91-93 Tbird/Cougars had them. I have no idea about the 94-95 GT's though.

Reference source=The Official Ford Mustang 5.0 1979 through 1993 Technical Reference & Performance Handbook

Edit - Added reference source.

Last edited:
I have a set of 95 cobra valve covers and there's no double layer. They are 100% factory stock.

interesting info. Do these double walled, insulated valve covers work well to quiet down rocker noise?

That was the intent. They clear the crank pedestal 1.7RR's that came on the 94-95 cobras. No idea if they will clear stud-mounts.

I think i have a 94 brochure kicing around that mentions this

Fyi, my source shows that the double-walled "sandwich-style" valve covers (with the sound insulating mastic layer) did not come on the 93 Cobra..... they only came on the 94-95 Cobra, and subsequently on 96-and-later Mountaineers with the 5.0L motor. I don't believe the 91-93 Tbird/Cougars had them. I have no idea about the 94-95 GT's though.

Reference source=The Official Ford Mustang 5.0 1979 through 1993 Technical Reference & Performance Handbook

Edit - Added reference source.

Interesting. I never knew the Explorers had the Quiet Steel covers.

Reactions: 1 user