Outnumbered By Idiots

• Sponsors (?)

Their sponsors are sitting on a backlog of blow thru carbs.

If you read that article, it actually tells you how to mod the powervalve in a regular doublepumper to work with boost. It works. I know people doing it.. making 900 hp- and you can buy a used holley cheaper than injectors that can do that..

The last comment is the best one. How can you switch from efi and not change the ignition. Remind me what site this is from so I never go there for help.
You can do it.... I did....timing was locked but car made decent power. Car actually ran pretty good.

This debate could go on forever. I'm an ex carb guy....but only because the carb was easier and I was dumberer.

To each their own. To me carbs are simpler....but an efi car can be dialed in more precisely, which equals ( in most cases ) more power across the board.

You can do it.... I did....timing was locked but car made decent power. Car actually ran pretty good.

This debate could go on forever. I'm an ex carb guy....but only because the carb was easier and I was dumberer.

To each their own. To me carbs are simpler....but an efi car can be dialed in more precisely, which equals ( in most cases ) more power across the board.
I just cringe when I see a carb on a car that was factory efi. Call it a failing of mine.
The ability to run a stand alone setup to control fuel/ timing as I need it just outshines the simplicity of a carb.
Can I solve lengthy equations with basic elementary school math? You betcha. Would calculus do it more efficiently? Damn straight.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm at carburetor guy cause i have a badass thumpin' 33 year old V6 just waiting for a hood to cover it!:rock:

Yeah, that's right.....you may call me, "Sir".

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
I just cringe when I see a carb on a car that was factory efi. Call it a failing of mine.
I won't cringe at @davedarcarpainter car....either one of them.

Let's face it...if you want to drive your car with the least chance of failure go carbed. My carbed cars had no issues and only minor adjustments needed to be made. EFI is limited without a good tuning system and a computer or chip. Not everyone has the patience to tackle EFI. Not everyone wants to give money to guys to tune their cars.

Not everyone has the money either. I respect the carbed guys.

Reactions: 2 users
Not saying I don't respect them. You run what you have or what you can afford which is why I'm still NA. I have no budget for boost and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Started the old dodge pick up that's been rotting behind my garage yesterday. Few pumps of the gas and it fired right up.. Few mins of idling lead to a pool of gas starting to form on the intake.. A couple smacks with a wrench against the side of the carb fixed 'er right up :)
Sometimes simplicity can be nice lol

Reactions: 1 users
See, now the problem with that carb set up is that its neither simplistic, nor cheap......which is always the primary argument for running a carb from guys who scoff at EFI in the first place. :shrug:

You are dead wrong on both points, when you compare that setup to a comparable efi setup.

See, now the problem with that carb set up is that its neither simplistic, nor cheap......which is always the primary argument for running a carb from guys who scoff at EFI in the first place. :shrug:

That sir is bunk.

A blow through carb is 750.00-1200.00.
You only have to know how to turn a screw driver.
Then you're done.

No injectors.
No fuel rails
No throttle body
No ECU,
No Having to go to the guy because you don't know how/cant tune the combination.

You are dead wrong on both points, when you compare that setup to a comparable efi setup.
Actually, my comment was more directed towards the entire build being uses as an example, not so much just the glorified fuel leak bolted to the manifold. Purpose built race cars are "NOT" the example carb nug huggers use when they compare the two. He may only have $1,500 wrapped up into the carb itself, but he's got $40k+ sunk into the rest of it. WOT thrust is one thing....but lets see how that thing runs around when its not going in a straight line with the drivers foot in the oil pan for 1,320ft at a time.

That article makes it sound like the carb was what tied it altogether and was the missing link needed to complete the build. Never mind that he went from an F1R to a big ol 88mm turbo set up at the same time?!? You don't think he could have made as much power, or more had he build it from the start as an EFI?

If someone is building it from scratch....sure, the sky is the limit. Run whatever you want. But when I see someone scrap their EFI system, just to backwards convert their set up to a carb because it's "simpler" and "cheaper".....even though removing the EFI and buying the needed parts for the conversion was probably more complex and expensive than just having the prior EFI set up tuned properly to start with, I have to shake my head. :nonono:

That sir is bunk.

No injectors.
No fuel rails
No throttle body
No ECU,
No Having to go to the guy because you don't know how/cant tune the combination.

No piss poor fuel economy
No filthy emmisions
No doggy warm weather performance
No blown power valves, or yearly carb kits
No need to rejett for elevation, or weather
No sitting in the car, freezing your ass off to keep it running during cold start
No stalling in the rain at every traffic light
No need to smell like raw fuel wherever you go
No having to convince yourself you made the right decision ripping a perfectly good EFI system off of your car, to backwards convert your engine to some archaic carburetor, no matter how much it cost, or how much trouble it gives you.

:shrug:

Last edited:
See now, I'm understanding the problem a little better here now. Once you EFI guys saw this y'all started to feel inadequate about your engine bays
IMG_1687.JPG
:D

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Actually, my comment was more directed towards the entire build being uses as an example, not so much just the glorified fuel leak bolted to the manifold. Purpose built race cars are "NOT" the example carb nug huggers use when they compare the two. He may only have $1,500 wrapped up into the carb itself, but he's got $40k+ sunk into the rest of it. WOT thrust is one thing....but lets see how that thing runs around when its not going in a straight line with the drivers foot in the oil pan for 1,320ft at a time.

That article makes it sound like the carb was what tied it altogether and was the missing link needed to complete the build. Never mind that he went from an F1R to a big ol 88mm turbo set up at the same time?!? You don't think he could have made as much power, or more had he build it from the start as an EFI?

If someone is building it from scratch....sure, the sky is the limit. Run whatever you want. But when I see someone scrap their EFI system, just to backwards convert their set up to a carb because it's "simpler" and "cheaper".....even though removing the EFI and buying the needed parts for the conversion was probably more complex and expensive than just having the prior EFI set up tuned properly to start with, I have to shake my head. :nonono:

No **** poor fuel economy
No filthy emmisions
No doggy warm weather performance
No blown power valves, or yearly carb kits
No need to rejett for elevation, or weather
No sitting in the car, freezing your ass off to keep it running during cold start
No stalling in the rain at every traffic light
No need to smell like raw fuel wherever you go
No having to convince yourself you made the right decision ripping a perfectly good EFI system off of your car, to backwards convert your engine to some archaic carburetor, no matter how much it cost, or how much trouble it gives you.

:shrug:

Once again, you have flat out missed the point. I'm not really sure what you guys up in Canada have been doing for the last ten years, but down here in Houston, people have been building 1000 plus hp street cars with boost. The point, that you've missed is that car IS a street car, and had you actually read the article, you'd see it has excellent street manners. The carb is a means to an end- massive HP. The factory efi isn't going to do that. You literally have to replace every single component from pump to injectors.. not to mention ecu. The carb? A few minor modifications, an adequate pump and line, fpr, and go. So to talk like someone is an idiot for removing the FACTORY efi to make power is silly to me, unless of course, you've been on the moon for 10 years. The carb IS cheaper, IT IS just as functional.. and for a 1000 hp street car, 9/10 of the negatives you pointed out either don't apply or are flat out baloney. Sorry.:shrug: