Outnumbered By Idiots

Actually, my comment was more directed towards the entire build being uses as an example, not so much just the glorified fuel leak bolted to the manifold. Purpose built race cars are "NOT" the example carb nug huggers use when they compare the two. He may only have $1,500 wrapped up into the carb itself, but he's got $40k+ sunk into the rest of it. WOT thrust is one thing....but lets see how that thing runs around when its not going in a straight line with the drivers foot in the oil pan for 1,320ft at a time.

That article makes it sound like the carb was what tied it altogether and was the missing link needed to complete the build. Never mind that he went from an F1R to a big ol 88mm turbo set up at the same time?!? You don't think he could have made as much power, or more had he build it from the start as an EFI?

If someone is building it from scratch....sure, the sky is the limit. Run whatever you want. But when I see someone scrap their EFI system, just to backwards convert their set up to a carb because it's "simpler" and "cheaper".....even though removing the EFI and buying the needed parts for the conversion was probably more complex and expensive than just having the prior EFI set up tuned properly to start with, I have to shake my head. :nonono:

No **** poor fuel economy
No filthy emmisions
No doggy warm weather performance
No blown power valves, or yearly carb kits
No need to rejett for elevation, or weather
No sitting in the car, freezing your ass off to keep it running during cold start
No stalling in the rain at every traffic light
No need to smell like raw fuel wherever you go
No having to convince yourself you made the right decision ripping a perfectly good EFI system off of your car, to backwards convert your engine to some archaic carburetor, no matter how much it cost, or how much trouble it gives you.

:shrug:

I'll agree that an EFI car will outperform a carbureted version when comparing efficiency, and emissions, but the rest of that sounds like crap.
I will not try to convince you that a carburetor isn't a "fuel leak". Despite the fact that most of those exaggerations you used to make your point were pulled straight out of your butt. As long as you think that every carb user has to rebuild his carb yearly, or the driver smells like gas, or that the car stalls in the rain at every light. pretty much tells me that you refuse to even think rationally in the argument.
and I gotta ask....
What does an EFI car do to help the driver avoid freezing in the morning on a cold start? ( I know you're not gonna say remote start,..unless you can associate every FI car w/it)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

So for :poo:s and giggles consider me an 18 y/o undecided voter. Why does every boosted build in this part of the forum run stand alone or modified factory efi?

See now, I'm understanding the problem a little better here now. Once you EFI guys saw this y'all started to feel inadequate about your engine bays
IMG_1687.JPG
:D
Are the napkins there to hide the really hideous parts Dave? I feel like I'm looking at a censored **** pic.

Reactions: 1 users
So for ****s and giggles consider me an 18 y/o undecided voter. Why does every boosted build in this part of the forum run stand alone or modified factory efi?
Annddd that would be me.

I did it because the last car was carbureted and I wanted a change on this one. I wanted the challenge of the ECU build, and had that intake manifold design in my head for a long time. But,......I've often kicked myself everytime I consider that the EFI system is my weak point now. I have to rely on Steve to help me get that engine tuned now,..and I won't know what the fck happens if/when a sensor goes bad after that. Had I went that way though a BT carb would've been as simple as I stated it was. I still would've used a WB sensor to monitor AFR, but 4 nuts and a fuel line is all that stands in the way of a start up with a carb.
There were several intake manifolds for that head/engine already made to accommodate a carb,...probably would've saved me 100+ hours of custom work to use one.

The people that crack on a carburetor have never even owned one, and when/if they did, they must've had one that had been on a factory based install that had been on the engine for 80k miles, because they simply aren't the constant maintenance issue they make them out to be. MOF,...the opposite. I played with the carb "on purpose", not because I had to.
The red car had a 600 CFM vac secondary carb on a 4.6. The engine started on the first crank and it still got 23 MPG when I drove it to MW w/ a 3.73 gear. I put almost 12k miles on that car before I sold it, and I never had to re-jet the carb, or change out a blown PV . I never smelled like gas (but I did smell like exhaust,....just like I did when the car had the EFI'd 4 banger in it when I drove it for a month before I parked it)

Reactions: 1 user
Annddd that would be me.

I did it because the last car was carbureted and I wanted a change on this one. I wanted the challenge of the ECU build, and had that intake manifold design in my head for a long time. But,......I've often kicked myself everytime I consider that the EFI system is my weak point now. I have to rely on Steve to help me get that engine tuned now,..and I won't know what the fck happens if/when a sensor goes bad after that. Had I went that way though a BT carb would've been as simple as I stated it was. I still would've used a WB sensor to monitor AFR, but 4 nuts and a fuel line is all that stands in the way of a start up with a carb.
There were several intake manifolds for that head/engine already made to accommodate a carb,...probably would've saved me 100+ hours of custom work to use one.

The people that crack on a carburetor have never even owned one, and when/if they did, they must've had one that had been on a factory based install that had been on the engine for 80k miles, because they simply aren't the constant maintenance issue they make them out to be. MOF,...the opposite. I played with the carb "on purpose", not because I had to.
The red car had a 600 CFM vac secondary carb on a 4.6. The engine started on the first crank and it still got 23 MPG when I drove it to MW w/ a 3.73 gear. I put almost 12k miles on that car before I sold it, and I never had to re-jet the carb, or change out a blown PV . I never smelled like gas (but I did smell like exhaust,....just like I did when the car had the EFI'd 4 banger in it when I drove it for a month before I parked it)
So back on topic, why don't you remove the system you are frustrated with and go back to a carb?

Annddd that would be me.

Just like all OEM EFI systems Mike the megasquirt also has a check engine light function I'll have to do some more reading on it before I give a long-winded explanation. But when something's just not acting right you just plug your laptop in and take a look at the sensors and see what they're doing for instance if injectors are firing you'll see the pulses if all of a sudden you lose your ECT sensor your water temperature will stay at a steady 180 degrees same goes for your air temperature. That's the wonderful part about sensor feedback if there's something wrong it's staring you in the face.

Reactions: 2 users
So for ****s and giggles consider me an 18 y/o undecided voter. Why does every boosted build in this part of the forum run stand alone or modified factory efi?

You wanna know what part of my efi is still factory? The wiring harness. That's it. Unless you count the fuel tank that used to hold the stock pump.. So there goes that argument.

And you know what? This is my first boosted car, and I went efi because all the people "that knew what they were talking about"... said you had to.

When I met the guy in my home town laying down 900 hp in a fox with a blow thru carb that cost less than my megasquirt, not to mention the thousands i have tied up in efi components, I was pissed, to say the least. That car runs great.. and he goes to Houston and kicks Lamborghinis asses regularly on the highway.. I was telling my friend at work that introduced me to him about this thead this morning and he literally laughed out loud..

You carb guys get soooo upset when you feel the rest of the automotive community doesn't properly embrace and worships your ancient artifact.

It entertains me, greatly. :)
I am not upset. I was actually discussing the topic, and asked that you clarify your position w/ a couple of additional questions:rolleyes:

I always get carb envy when I see a Fox with a smoothed bay and there aren't any dang wires to tuck!! However going from EFI to carb on a Fox will cost you much more money over stand alone ECU in the long run. Think about the resell value of your car.

Think about the resell value of your car.

Yeah, it really kills it. The guy with the turbo fox I mentioned above just turned down a 15k offer for it. He must be sick over his loss of resale value...:rolleyes:

You carb guys get soooo upset when you feel the rest of the automotive community doesn't properly embrace and worships your ancient artifact.

It entertains me, greatly. :)

And a third time FOR THE WIN!!!! An inaccurate post by gear bangaaaaaaaarrrrrrr!!!!!
:canada:

So much pisstivity in this thread. I was just curious as to why someone would choose one over the other and actual responses from those that have done it.

Reactions: 5 users