Drivetrain overdrive acting weird

USCGunner

Jun 10, 2017
Idaho
91 fox 5.0 convertable my od works but the shift is rough when shifting in. It feels like i loose power for a sec then it seems to pick back up. I do not know when service was done on the trans. I purchased it 3 years ago with 102000 and have put about 1000 miles on it. Any suggestions would be appreaciated.

• Sponsors (?)

You can check the fluid and throttle valve cable adjustment and that’s about all you can do with the AOD externally. Even then, if either of those were a problem it would also be acting up in other gears.

The overdrive is the weakest link on the AOD and it’s usually what fails first. If you find yourself needing a rebuild, you can upgrade the reverse drum, band and sprag from the stock 1.5” to 2” from AODE or 4r70w. It would also require a compatible sun gear shell from the same or similar donar unit.

Here’s an example of the 2” drum

https://cobratransmission.com/aod-a...MI6fTigOu65AIVDl8NCh2tLQ6dEAQYASABEgKnJ_D_BwE

Here’s the sun gear shell

Using these parts in a quality rebuild will substantially the durability of the AOD transmission.

You can nurse the ailing od by keeping the shift selector in D for slower around town driving like any speed 55 and under. This will prevent unnecessary up and down shifting in and out of od.

When you want od for higher speed driving, take it up in D, let off the throttle a little and move it to od. It will make a more gental upshift and help it hang on to life longer. I know this does not fix it, just buys you some more time before the inevitable rebuild.