Overheating issue

AllenC

May 4, 2020
Tenessee
ok so here’s my problem

I have an 07 GT, the other day I was idling with the AC on and I overheated.

I replaced the thermostat and the water pump just to be in the safe side.

pressure test was fine

I’m not leaking any coolant. There was a 30 degree difference between the top radiator hose and the lower radiator hose, so I know it’s cooling
Fans are fine, the shop used their computer to turn on the fans at high and low no issues

fans kick on when they are supposed to when engine is running

it takes a while for it to overheat, maybe 20 mins idle before The gauge starts climbing

their computer read the CHT sensor as 253 degrees, it did not go up or down under load ( bad sensor?)

Since replacing the water pump and thermostat, the car hasn’t boiled over, just the gauge slowly creeps up after idle

I never had overheating problems before , it just started out of nowhere .

could it be a clogged radiator?

any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

ok so here’s my problem

I have an 07 GT, the other day I was idling with the AC on and I overheated.

I replaced the thermostat and the water pump just to be in the safe side.

pressure test was fine

I’m not leaking any coolant. There was a 30 degree difference between the top radiator hose and the lower radiator hose, so I know it’s cooling
Fans are fine, the shop used their computer to turn on the fans at high and low no issues

fans kick on when they are supposed to when engine is running

it takes a while for it to overheat, maybe 20 mins idle before The gauge starts climbing

their computer read the CHT sensor as 253 degrees, it did not go up or down under load ( bad sensor?)

Since replacing the water pump and thermostat, the car hasn’t boiled over, just the gauge slowly creeps up after idle

I never had overheating problems before , it just started out of nowhere .

could it be a clogged radiator?

any ideas?
I don't Normally reply on Things but have u done a Flush on your coolant system! You would be surprised at the stuff that can collect in your radiator and then settle there.

It's possible. You could try flushing the whole cooling system to see if that helps. You could also try pressure washing the AC condenser. It sits in front of the radiator and if the fins are clogged up with dirt and dead insects, the condenser won't allow sufficient cool air to reach the radiator.
You said the coolant hasn't boiled over so that suggests that the cap on the expansion reservoir is doing its job correctly. It's a 16psi cap so it should raise the coolant boiling point to about 260*F.

Reactions: 1 user
If overheating occurs at idle and not at highway speeds it typically indicates the cooling efficiency of the radiator is compromised. This could result from debris limiting air flow to fans not moving enough air to a partially clogged radiator. When at idle run the heater at full blast and see if the overheating goes away or is less severe. If it helps the problem then you likely have a clogged radiator issue.