• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Overheating problem!

  • Thread starter Thread starter kurv
  • Start date Start date Nov 2, 2006
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
K

kurv

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
185
0
0
Orlando, Florida
Nov 2, 2006
#1
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #1
ok, so i'm kinda fed up. Ive been overheating for awhile now, and nothing seems to really fix the problem. I've so far replaced the waterpump, thermostat (new 180*), and the radiator, all the hoses are fine. I've been trying to burp the system for a couple of days now. I would say its sufficietly burped. My gauge will be fine for a few mintues, then creep up to the L or past. I turn the heater on full blast and the temp will drop to the O or the R. Im really tired of messing with this. Please Help!
 

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
1,269
19
99
Louisiana
Nov 2, 2006
#2
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #2
Try changing your rariator cap. I changed mine and temperatures dropped a good bit. Get a LEV-R-VENT.
 
K

kurv

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
185
0
0
Orlando, Florida
Nov 2, 2006
#3
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #3
oh forgot to add, i also have a new radiator cap, with a pressure release lever.
 

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
1,269
19
99
Louisiana
Nov 2, 2006
#4
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #4
Clogged radiator maybe?
 

Bosko5.0

Active Member
May 18, 2006
1,067
0
37
longwood, FL
Nov 2, 2006
#5
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #5
is your fan coming on?
 
K

kurv

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
185
0
0
Orlando, Florida
Nov 2, 2006
#6
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #6
im pretty sure the fan is comming on. It does for sure with the A/C. How do I test to see if it comes on without? Just wait till it heats up?
 

94Cobra69SS396

Member
Dec 27, 2004
44
0
7
Fontana, CA
Nov 2, 2006
#7
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #7
I recently had this happen to me as well and it was caused by the ground wire in the connector loosing contact. I replaced the female connector in the harness and all is good with mine. The way I figured it our was I wiggled the harness with the air on and when I did the fan shut off. The I took a look at the harness and noticed the ground was loose.
 

1TallMF

New Member
Apr 17, 2006
955
1
0
Montreal
Nov 2, 2006
#8
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #8
I had a problem like this a few months ago, my car would overheat all the time in traffic unless I either had the A/C or heater on. But it would cool right back down once I got moving fast enough. Set your a/c to "off" and just let it idle in the driveway and look at the fan to see if it turns on when the temps reach close to halfway on the gauge. Mine never did turn on, and I traced it back to the temp sensor, it had an open circuit (no resistance at all). Got a new sensor for $25 and now the fan works fine, no overheating.
Good luck.
 
K

kurv

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
185
0
0
Orlando, Florida
Nov 2, 2006
#9
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #9
awsome thanks for all the replies, I think i've located the problem. I let it idle for a bit and as the temp climbed the fan never came on. Until I hit the A/C. So I suppose i need a new sensor.. Where is it located? Also, what would be the downside to installing a manual fan switch and just having the fan constantly running?
 

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
1,269
19
99
Louisiana
Nov 2, 2006
#10
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #10
kurv said:
Where is it located? Also, what would be the downside to installing a manual fan switch and just having the fan constantly running?
Click to expand...
I think you just change the harness, or you might need to change the CCRM. There is a relay in there for it, but I think that kight just be for the high speed fan. Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong. I have a buddy checking my old one and I can hook you up if there is nothing wrong with it.

And using a manual switch would just make it take longer to reach nor,al operating temperatures. Unless you left it off till about 150*
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Nov 2, 2006
#11
  • Nov 2, 2006
  • #11
The t-stat is what regulates engine temps. You can have a fan run constantly (as with mechanical fans) and the engine still heats up just as it normally would (t-stat is closed, so coolant being cooled in the coil is not flowing in the engine).

The downside of running the fan constantly is the fan wear and load on the E-system.

Low speed should come on at ~208*F and high at about 228*F. Manual switches work fine if you dont mind toggling them (I got tired of it). Or go with a stand-alone fan controller.

Good luck.
 

ProKiller

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
3,064
15
78
PA
Nov 3, 2006
#12
  • Nov 3, 2006
  • #12
you replaced the radiator with a stock one or an aluminum one? that would have went a long way in keepign it cooler. a manual fan switch is a good idea to have.
 

1TallMF

New Member
Apr 17, 2006
955
1
0
Montreal
Nov 3, 2006
#13
  • Nov 3, 2006
  • #13
The sensor takes 2 minutes to swap, its right in behind the thermostat housing on the lower intake, coming off that black metal heater tube. Just unplug it, unscrew it, and put the new one in (with teflon tape on the threads). Before you do it, make sure you relieve the pressure in the system by opening rad. cap, to avoid a mess. I learned that the hard way
Your CCRM is working fine, since the fan comes on with the A/C or heater. It uses the same relays. Its just that the signal is not getting to the computer to tell it to send power to the relay once it reaches those temps.

Hooking up a manual switch is always another good idea. There are plenty of good write-ups, as mentioned. I'm far to lazy at this point to do it though..
 
K

kurv

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
185
0
0
Orlando, Florida
Nov 3, 2006
#14
  • Nov 3, 2006
  • #14
thanks for all the replies. I changed the sensor, and also learned the hardway. However, the fan is still not comming on when hot. Maybe a bad ground? Or a freyed wire? Possible fuse? Any other ideas?
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Nov 3, 2006
#15
  • Nov 3, 2006
  • #15
Are you using a real gauge to determine temps? Otherwise that tosses another variable into the diagnostics.

You know high speed works, but you need to let the car idle forever to reach the high-speed temp threshold.

When the car is at 208*F+, look at pin 14 of the CCRM for having 12 volts. It should (to energize the low speed CCRM fan relay).


There are several ways the diagnostics can go depending upon what you find. There can also be an issue with the PCM's signal for the low-speed fan, with the EDF relay control brain, and so on.

Good luck.
 
K

kurv

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
185
0
0
Orlando, Florida
Nov 4, 2006
#16
  • Nov 4, 2006
  • #16
So after checking fuses, and grounds, and all possible electrical connections. Still have no clue as to why the low speed fan is not comming on. If I unplug the electrical connector to the temp sensor, the fan comes on. So does the check engine light... I really don't want to have to take it back to the shop
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Nov 4, 2006
#17
  • Nov 4, 2006
  • #17
kurv said:
If I unplug the electrical connector to the temp sensor, the fan comes on. So does the check engine light... I really don't want to have to take it back to the shop
Click to expand...
That's normal. When the ECT circuit is open, low speed should come on as part of the system safeguard.

Now you know that low speed works (it should be low speed that comes on with the ECT unplugged). You can check your ECT for calibration at 210*F coolant temps.

Another way to see if the low speed fan comes on (to be sure) is to do self tests. Both fan speeds should cycle at the beginning of the code retrieval.

When the car is nice and hot (over 210* F), if you can tell us if you have 12 volts at Pin 14 on the CCRM, that will help. It sounds like you will not have this input signal.

Good luck.
 
K

kurv

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
185
0
0
Orlando, Florida
Nov 4, 2006
#18
  • Nov 4, 2006
  • #18
So I don't have a voltmeter, suppose I could pick one up though. However, I just pulled codes, and this is what I picked up

KOEO
564 - Electro-Drive Fan circuit failure

So I guess the circuit has failed, I checked all the fuses and all of those where good. Ideas?
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Nov 4, 2006
#19
  • Nov 4, 2006
  • #19
kurv said:
So I don't have a voltmeter, suppose I could pick one up though. However, I just pulled codes, and this is what I picked up

KOEO
564 - Electro-Drive Fan circuit failure

So I guess the circuit has failed, I checked all the fuses and all of those where good. Ideas?
Click to expand...
Did you pull codes after you had disconnect the ECT (and the fan come on)?

If so, it's possible that your having done this is what triggered that code. It's for the EDF control that I mentioned earlier. However, since the fan come on when you opened the ECT circuit, the EDF control (in that one instance at least) worked like it should.

I'd clear the codes and pull them again after you warm the car up fully (to where low speed should have come on). This will provide a fresh palatte for codes to be restored.

Good luck.
 
K

kurv

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
185
0
0
Orlando, Florida
Nov 4, 2006
#20
  • Nov 4, 2006
  • #20
I had the ECT connected as it should. As I pulled the codes, The low speed fan came on first, then high speed. I've since upluged the battery, to clear the system. Pulled codes again, with the same results.
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine 1986 GT Overheating issues
  • 86 5O GT
  • Jan 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
18
Views
816
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 29, 2026
86 5O GT
O
2001 mustang gt overheating
  • orinsmiley11
  • Jul 17, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
398
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 17, 2025
Noobz347
M
Resolved 1988 Foxbody - Overheating Summer
  • MDrisc
  • Oct 26, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
16
Views
882
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 17, 2026
fasterthangas
F
D
Resolved Upper radiator hose cold??
  • dqureshi06
  • Oct 31, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
14
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 11, 2024
limp
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
578
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?