Paint

GreenMustangGt said:
sorry guys for bringing this back from the dead, but im about to finally paint my car, and i still have a couple of questions.

the primer that i bought is called "primer/surfacer" now, once i spray that, what grit should i use to wetsand?
( I used 320 then up to 500...add a smidge of dishwashing liquid to your water..makes sanding a tad easier...change the water often...its got sanding grit in it and youll keep rubing that in..also let your paper set in the water and get plenty soft before you use it...you want it pliable)

Next, once its all sanded and clean, do i need " sealer" and what is is, is it like another form of primer or what?
(I did mine as the painter said it needed sealer, don't know the specifics on sealer)

Ok, so once i get the color painted, how many coats should i do of black, and will a gallon of paint(1:1) mix, so actually 2 gallons be enough?

Next, do i need to sand after the color, before the clear?
(No....Let it air our per manafactuer req's then nail it with clear,,,2 coats should suffice)

Lastly. once the clear is on, do i need to do any type of fine sanding?
(Yes and No...this is the difference between a paint job and a sweet paint job...we went up to 1000 grit blocksanding to get the texturing out of the clear, thats what makes it look good...then buff it and watch it shine... :D )

Thanks alot for any help.....im about to do this
(If your doing this without a spraybooth, such as your garage...get at it early in the morning...less chit and BUGS in the air...)

oh, lastly i heard that people use windex as a cleaner before painting.....should i use this or just say laquor thinner?
(You know my take on this..)
Good luck with it... :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

You will definitely want to wet-sand and buff once you're finished. Here's how much of a difference it can make,
Before
100_0496.JPG

After
100_0516.JPG

GreenMustangGt said:
wow.....i wonder how my car would look with chrome yellow?

oh, and do i actually need Sealer after the primer?

We didn't use sealer, but my friend who has his own body shop uses it. I would say it's a good idea, but not required.

Im out painting right now.

Im getting a little fisheye.

Gonna have to stop by the supply shop in the morning and get some fisheye remover.

My primer came out of my gun like ass. It was almost like the ceiling texture. I had to sand the piss out of it, and im still not sure if I got it real well. The paint is coming out nicely so far though, except for the fisheyes. So once I finish up with what I mixed tonight, fisheye remover in the remainer tomorrow.