Painting exterior rubber molding

My car has a fairly presentable "good from far, but far from good" paint job. Have no intention of ever taking on the cost of a repaint. One of the things that bothers me is that parts of the exterior molding do not match each other (see picture for example). Most of the trim is kind of a creamy white, while the driver door molding is a bright white. Not sure if they were re-painted sometime through the years, or they are just aging differently. But that drivers door molding color looks way off, plus its starting to curl up like a piece of bacon. Was thinking about ordering a replacement door molding and trying to paint it myself just to get a better match. Have had pretty good luck with SEM Color Coat in the interior, how do you guys think that product would work on a rubbery door molding, assuming I could get a color that's close to the creamy white? Hate to involve a body shop for one little piece that will be all but impossible to match anyway. Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.PNG
    IMG_2461.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 169
  • Sponsors (?)

Your options are
Trim black like the earlier cars were to remedy your issue . You could use the can paint for that .
Otherwise to do it right with the body color you need to have a body shop paint it . With so many hues of white the match will be difficult .

Your options are
Trim black like the earlier cars were to remedy your issue . You could use the can paint for that .
Otherwise to do it right with the body color you need to have a body shop paint it . With so many hues of white the match will be difficult .

That is an excellent suggestion. Change the color, and then you don't have to match it.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice guys. Don’t think I want to take on removing and painting all the trim, that door is the worst piece, the rest isn’t too bad. Not a huge fan of black trim. Afraid if I paint just the one piece, the cure might be worse than the disease. Perhaps I will try to find an old trim piece to experiment to see how good a match I can get with a rattle can product, before committing to a new piece and pulling the old one off.

That is an excellent suggestion. Change the color, and then you don't have to match it.

Kurt

I would not take them off to repaint them as that usually ruins them.
Tape and paper to mask the strips is likely to be required if they are like older fixed and T-Birds.
So what primer and flex additive should be used???