Painting intake manifold question

Maryland Stang

Aug 21, 2002
Greenville, NC
Hey, I'm going to paint my lower and upper tomorrow and I have a question. When I paint the lower should I mask off the holes for the injectors so paint doesn't get in them? I have the old 19# injectors and I could put them in the holes but they'll kinda be in the way.

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

Not going to really matter if you use a good quality paint and prep the aluminum better.

White vinegar sometimes allows the paint to adhere to bare aluminum much better. Just wipe it down, let it dry then paint.

I personally would not allow any paint inside the hole before reinstall. Be careful in leaving the machined face of the injector well shiney and clean. Sand and glass beads may be too abrasive for this finish.

I bet your going to use hi temp paint also right? Surface prep is the most important step in the process to a beautiful and long lasting paint job. Be careful what you use to clean your painted intake after it is done. Certain engine degreasers sprayed and left on intake for a short period may distort the color.

I don't see what negatives well-bonded paint would do in those holes. As long as nothing is loose and falls into the engine, you are golden. Fuel shouldn't touch these areas at all. Just lube the o-rings to seal and call it a day.

Just prep the manifold well and let it dry completely before assembly

Ive heard that 'blasting any intake parts is a bad idea because its hard (if not impossible) to clean away all the particles which eventually make it down into the engine and you know what happens then...

There are many different blasting medias, and you can use a number of nozzles and pressures. You can blast paint from a wood fence and not damage the wood. It all depends on the exact material and method used.

I would *not* paint the injector holes. Paint is not compatible with the rubber seals. It's an unnecessary risk that I don't see any reason for doing. Piant is band for many reasons. It will make the hole rougher, smaller, and uneven. Any of those will increase the chance of damaging the o-ring.

You will not get any media in the intake as long as the the "TB" ports and output ports are sealed/stuffed. Getting a roll of paper towels and full some blue making tape is cheap and is quick to seal what's needed. I agree that using old injectors is one of the best ways to keep the injector mounting holes clean.

I've used the brush-on *oil-based* Rustoleum (sp?) with decent results. If you want very good long-lasting results, get the Eastwood hot-coat system. But, you need an oven big enough for the parts. :p

Ive bead-blasted (glassbead, sand, and actual little metal beads) lots of intakes including my own heads, upper and lower, throttle body and egr plate. I cleaned it with compressed air then washed it out once or twice with a hose then dried it with compressed air again. Never had any problems, like Hissin says it gives it an awesome finish for painting.

Ive heard that 'blasting any intake parts is a bad idea because its hard (if not impossible) to clean away all the particles which eventually make it down into the engine and you know what happens then...

Sand blasting maybe, but bead blasting isn't likely. Of course you should blow out the whole piece with air before assembly to make sure. I have a friend who does blasting for a living and he's done several intakes and valve covers for me and they always come out clean enough to eat off of.

I stuffed paper towels into the injector holes and everything came out fine. Surface prep involved bead blasting and then 90 minutes of dishwasher. Our dishwasher has a second feed line for the top rack and when you remove the top rack the water shoots straight out. I positioned the upper so the water would shoot into the plenum through the 70 mm opening. It cleaned the entire manifold, inside and out, very well.

I stuffed paper towels into the injector holes and everything came out fine. Surface prep involved bead blasting and then 90 minutes of dishwasher. Our dishwasher has a second feed line for the top rack and when you remove the top rack the water shoots straight out. I positioned the upper so the water would shoot into the plenum through the 70 mm opening. It cleaned the entire manifold, inside and out, very well.

Aaaaah, but did you use Jet Dry?? :rlaugh:

Well I guess the moral of the story here is just don't half ass the paint job. Taping off the ports with electrical tape is the best bet for resisting the blast media, if you do decide to go that route. also, make sure you clean it with water and a solvent of some sort after the 'blast, because pressurized air wont get it all by itself.

Edit: I have heard of people using the diswasher for cleaning parts before... does that really work well? I'd be really tempted to try it sometime when the roommates arent around...