Paint and Body Painting subframe connectors

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
I’ll be getting maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors for my 89 GT soon and I’m wondering if I should spend the extra money and get the ones that are already painted or go with the $40 cheaper ones that are in bare finish and then paint them myself after they’re installed (I won’t be installing them a local exhaust shop will since they have a drive on lift). If I get the bare ones what should I paint them with? And should I paint them before hand or after they’re installed?

• Sponsors (?)

I’ll be getting maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors for my 89 GT soon and I’m wondering if I should spend the extra money and get the ones that are already painted or go with the $40 cheaper ones that are in bare finish and then paint them myself after they’re installed (I won’t be installing them a local exhaust shop will since they have a drive on lift). If I get the bare ones what should I paint them with? And should I paint them before hand or after they’re installed?
That depends,...Are you paying someone to paint the ones seperately from the ones you’re paying to weld in for you?

If not, lay on your back ( if it’s not too hard) and paint them with a 6.00 rattle can of krylon.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll want to paint them before installing and remove what's needed for welding,no way to get paint on the surface that's up against the bottom of the car after installed which is where rust is most likely to develop.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
That depends,...Are you paying someone to paint the ones seperately from the ones you’re paying to weld in for you?

If not, lay on your back ( if it’s not too hard) and paint them with a 6.00 rattle can of krylon.
Now that I think about it I won’t be able to get under the car very easily to paint them so I’m probably going to have to go a different route for installation. I have a guy that I usually get to do all my fox body work that I can’t do and he’ll install subframe connectors and he has a level shop floor but he’d install them on jackstands. Can subframe connectors be installed on jackstands if they’re placed on the axle tubes as close to the wheels as possible and same with the front control arms? Or should I stick with the muffler shop. Reason I ask is because the other guy will paint them as well while the muffler shop won’t.

Correct, the MM units are powder coated, and are what I chose simply because it's more durable than paint and already done for you. You do have to remove some of it with a grinder when you weld them in, but then you just rattle can back over that part afterwards. Either choice is fine, just make sure to paint them before installing then touch up over the welds after they are installed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Well now that I’ll be going with the powder coated subframe connectors, on to the next question. I’m debating on if I want to get them installed by the local muffler shop or not since my floor pan will most definitely need some convincing on the passenger side. The guy I usually hire to do all the work I can’t do myself has been doing subframe connectors for about as long as I’ve been alive but he does them on jackstands. I didn’t ask where he places the jackstands but would it be safe to have them installed with the jackstands as close to the wheels on the axle tubes as possible and jack stands supporting the front control arms? Or should I just get the muffler shop to do it?

Well now that I’ll be going with the powder coated subframe connectors, on to the next question. I’m debating on if I want to get them installed by the local muffler shop or not since my floor pan will most definitely need some convincing on the passenger side. The guy I usually hire to do all the work I can’t do myself has been doing subframe connectors for about as long as I’ve been alive but he does them on jackstands. I didn’t ask where he places the jackstands but would it be safe to have them installed with the jackstands as close to the wheels on the axle tubes as possible and jack stands supporting the front control arms? Or should I just get the muffler shop to do it?
I just learned (taught myself) to weld. I did my subframe connectors with the front wheels on ramps, and the rear on jackstands under the rear end. It was a noticeable difference in the rigidity of the car. If I did it........ your guy can do it.
Basically, you need to make sure the weight is as if it were sitting on the ground, and you’ll be fine.

I did the same, with my front wheels on ramps and the rear end (IRS cage) supported by jackstands. I will say it was not fun, and I would likely hire that job out if I had to do it again but would only do it with someone who has a drive on lift and knows what they are doing.

If you plan on tackling this yourself make sure of the following

Have a fire extinguisher handy
car is level and supported with the weight of the car
clean all of the mating surfaces and use a weld through etching primer
remove your EEC as a precaution in case of a spike in voltage
If you can pull your carpet do it, or put some bags of ice in the car to help keep the carpet cool. frequently check the inside
Install the seat hanger parts first. you wont be able to get them in after and they help align the subs.
tack them in place before doing your final welds. make sure you can still open your doors . once you weld them in place you have now secured the front t the back and you dont want the car tweaked
Make sure your welds penetrate and are solid. DOn't want them cracking and risk them flexing or worse
Be careful not to burn holes in your floor
Grind down the welds and paint over them with some rustoleum

• Useful
I have purchased a set of MM Full Length Sub Frame Connectors for my 1987 LX 5.0 and have an appointment to get them welded on in about two weeks. The shop doing the welding requested I paint them (they are unfinished) before bringing them in for welding. My local auto supply shop suggested I use the spray on Brake Caliper paint as they felt this paint was a more durable rust paint that would stand up to chemicals, chips and heat well. Does anyone feel this is not the best choice or why I shouldn't go this route?

Chrome 'em :nice:
No, seriously, have you looked into powder coating?

Prob a $100 min charge to PC them.

MM has a $30 difference if you buy them bare vs PC. I’d just buy the powder coated MM version and then sell the bare ones.

However if you are going to paint them, I do find brake caliper paint to last longer, but it chips easier. I would just prime them, have them welded on, and then paint them on the car.

• Agree
I'm guilty of purchasing the MM sub frame connectors over a year ago and not getting them installed. If I were ordering SFC now, I agree, I should just get the PC ones. So using brake caliper paint would be considered an acceptable paint to use on the SFC? I do have 2 spray cans of this paint to use, but don't want to use this paint if it isn't a god choice. Thanks for your replies.