Panhard Bar Selection

Today I am purchasing Tokico D-Specs, Eibach Lowering Springs and an adjustable BMR Panhard bar.

I noticed on stangsuspension and on the BMR website they have two options for an adjustable panhard bar:

MPHR004 Chrome Moly "On-Car" Adjustable Panhard Rod w/rod ends $185.95 (Top item in the picture)

PHR006 Tubular "On-Car" Adjustable Panhard Rod $134.95 (middle item in the picture)

panhardRods-Large.jpg


What is the difference and which one is sufficient enough for my particular application? They do not go into the difference between the two and why one costs more then another. I know they look different - but not to sure what the more expensive one gives me over the less expensive.

Thanks guys!
Nick
 
The first bar is adjustable on both ends and has rod ends. It's more for race applications. Rod ends transfer more noise and make the ride more harsh. The tubular adjustable panhard bar is just fine for a street car that sees some strip use. It's got poly bushings for lowered NVH. That is the bar I'm running.
 
In my opinion rod ends are only needed when competing for a trophy. Even then, the FR500C race cars use poly bushing stuff. Stick with poly bushings.

As for the adjustability, you may notice the axle shift to one side when lowering. The adjustable helps keep it in the middle. My axle was off to one side without lowering, so I got the adjustable.
 
After reading up on the writeup for the strut/shock/panhard bar/spring install, it looks pretty simple.

I think I may get one of my buddies who is car savy, and we might just pound this out.

Ill post before/after pics once it has arrived!

Also - how long does it usually take to recieve items from stangsuspension? I am in NY
 
I received them pretty quickly. 2-3 days if they're in stock and not being drop shipped.

It's very straight forward. I was astounded. Everyone complains about the fronts, but honestly, I knocked those out in less than 1/2 hour a piece. The rears are where I ran into problems. The top mounts for the shocks are a PITA and the springs didn't "drop out" as the write-up stated, even with dropping the rear sway bar.
 
Some retailers exclusively do this, so they don't need to stock parts (that way they can operate out of their home). Other times, it's just done when a part is not sold a lot, or if the retailer is out of stock. Drop shipping means you order from the retailer, they then order the part from the manufacturer/distributer and have it shipped directly to you.
 
Dark - I ordered up my suspension stuff on Wednesday. My order status on stangsuspension.com says "paid". I was trying to find out the tracking #'s in addition to when they are going to be shipped.

I haven't heard back from any of the emails that I sent.

I call them up - and I am told to leave a voicemail or to send an email. No human answers the phone.

Is this the same sort of experience that you have had with them?
 
Cool. Yeah, they're great guys. Odd that you weren't getting a response. Must've been pretty busy. They'll call you a week or so after it's delivered to make sure your install went ok and everything.
 
Alright.

I finally installed my new suspension today. The springs and d-specs are all good to go. It was quite easy - but took us about 5 hours!

One thing I did notice by measuring with a tape measure is that the drivers side back wheel is SLIGHTLY lower than the passenger side wheel.

I adjusted the panhard bar with the weights as stated in the sticky.

Any reason why one side would be slightly lower?

Last question - I know that these shocks/struts are adjustable. Why would I want to adjust them or better yet - what does adjusting them do?

Thanks! Once I wash her later on today - ill post pics.
 
Good stuff. That's about what I spent doing it myself.

If one wheel has less gap that another, you're probably not on perfectly level ground. They'll also settle, but usually that's the reason. You also wanna make sure that you installed the springs the correct way on both sides, and didn't forget the rubber spring holder at the top of both of them.

Read the information that came with the D-Specs about adjustment. Then play around with the settings. Most people are running 3-5 from full hard on the rear and 4-7 from full hard on the front for the street. But it depends on what kind of driving you'll be doing and what's comfortable for you. Once you find what works for you, you'll probably never need to adjust them again, unless you go to the track and want to mess with them.
 
The first bar is adjustable on both ends and has rod ends. It's more for race applications. Rod ends transfer more noise and make the ride more harsh. The tubular adjustable panhard bar is just fine for a street car that sees some strip use. It's got poly bushings for lowered NVH. That is the bar I'm running.

Exactly. I'm running the adj. panhard bar with the poly ends with zero problems. I also bought the brace since I'd have everything apart. I'm running the Tokico D-Specs with Steeda Sport Springs, love the ride. I'm running 5 from full hard in the rear and 4 from full hard in the front. It rides really smooth but controlled.