Part Number Difference between GT and Cobra Engine Blocks?

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
I'm going to be rebuilding my '95 GT 's engine next year, and I was thinking of overboring it to a 306. Problem is, I'm in California and subject to the blasted smog laws. I was thinking of rebuilding the engine to Cobra specs, with the 24lb injectors, and passing it off as an engine swap. Basically as if I removed the old GT engine and put in a Cobra motor. According to California law, I can have the engine inspected by their referees, and (hopefully) pass. I would get a new door sticker that the CA Smog stations would read and they would test the car under the Cobra specs.

Problem is, I can't find any Cobra specs on the engine block. Are there different engine numbers between the GT & Cobra? Or are they identical, with the Cobra bored to a 306?

The overall idea is to legally get the 24lb injectors, then modify the engine from there. Does anyone else here see any problems with this plan?

• Sponsors (?)

The only problem with that idea is that its completely not necessary.

I passed CA smog two months ago with all the mods in my sig minus the O/R X. Cobra and GT blocks are exactly the same. Just rebuild your block. Almost all good aftermarket heads are 50 state legal and will kick the **** out a GT-40(cobra) head any day. So rebuild it, put some good aftermarket heads on it, the steeda #19 or Crane 2031 cam like me, and an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, along with your 24# injectors(they dont know the difference) and go out and have a lot of fun with your car.

I guess I'm just trying to be legal here. It would be my luck I'd go get smogged, the tech wouldn't recognize what he saw and fail me. Then I'd be screwed.

I'm also looking farther down the line - I'm thinking of picking up a smog-legal 347 stroker from Coast High (http://www.coasthigh.com/). Their 347-e Street Fighter is actually smog-legal in CA, as long as you use their camshaft. I'd like to throw my GT's engine into my V6, and then it will need to be inspected by a CARB referee. No point in rebuilding it again if I can help it.

While I may not need to toe the line and make it legal now, I may need to have it fully legal later. So I'm looking into my options.

Chythar said:
I guess I'm just trying to be legal here. It would be my luck I'd go get smogged, the tech wouldn't recognize what he saw and fail me. Then I'd be screwed.

I'm also looking farther down the line - I'm thinking of picking up a smog-legal 347 stroker from Coast High (http://www.coasthigh.com/). Their 347-e Street Fighter is actually smog-legal in CA, as long as you use their camshaft. I'd like to throw my GT's engine into my V6, and then it will need to be inspected by a CARB referee. No point in rebuilding it again if I can help it.

While I may not need to toe the line and make it legal now, I may need to have it fully legal later. So I'm looking into my options.
The only thing that makes their 347 legal when others arent is the cam. The Steeda #19 is legal, and so is my Crane 2031. The shortblock has nothing to do with emissions. Edelbrock heads are 50 statelegal, AFR heads are 50 state legal, Trick Flow heads are 50 State legal. The Edelbrock Performer and performer RPM intake manifolds are 50 state legal. They all come with C.A.R.B. exemption numbers that you put under your hood, so when it comes smog time they just look at those and check them off as if they were stock equipment. I had no help or insider guys doing my smog, it was a test only station too, i passed easily on the roller(allways use your stock H pipe). I would go with that 347-E street fighter block and some of the above heads, and the above intake manifold. Your car will be a complete street legal monster.